ABC Mars River kit question

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
ABC Mars Mission models.jpgABC Mars Obital Station.jpg

I was recently lucky enough to access a series of ABC magazines; the Mars River exploration set" that consisted of orbital space stations, space craft, and Mars bases and equipment.

I have all of the kits, save part of one. The first pic provided an advertisement of the entire set. I am missing the upper module of the space station in the set that is pictured mid-page, below the shuttle. The second pic shows it more clearly, labeled VYJDE V from ABC 8/2011. Its the upper complex with the solar wings, connecting to the central hub; the largest of the connected craft.

I have looked all over the web for a place where one might buy old ABC magazines and even looked around for old sites where these might be provided for free downloads. No dice!

Does anyone know where this last part of the set might be found? Does someone sell these anywhere or is there an old, accessible library, of these old zines?

Thanks in advance for letting me know!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow! That is a lovely set! Unfortunately I cannot help but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

BTW, is it "Mars River" or "Mars Rover"? If it is the latter, I suggest to correct the title of the thread. ;)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
That's the devil in the details! I do not know why, but the ships are labeled Mars River Co. on several of the kits [see the wing labelling]! Don't know why...

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
I can't help with finding the kits, but this is gonna be great!

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Thanks for your suggestions. I sent a message to the company you suggested and am awaiting a response. I think the specific magazine is
ABC volume 56 (year 2011) number 08. I'm not certain because I don't read Czech and the magazines from ABC were notoriously uncertain regarding content between issues!

I think it's described as the new ISS model from that issue. Anyone know if I am on target for what I am seeking?

I'm going to poke around the web in case someone has posted this one kit. I suspect its only one page, given the size of the others (they are 1/72 scale).

Its a pretty nice complex, don't you think?

Last edited:

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Thanks so much! That is the right kit, but the wrong section; I already have the piece!

I appreciate the effort and wish it was the one I am seeking, the "new ISS" module at the top of the assembly.

Again, appreciate the effort.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Thanks for trying to help.

I went through he site a couple of times with no luck

That doesn't diminish my thanks!

I hoped that this site also had the other templates.

Thanks much for making the effort for me. Really appreciated.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You can find the complete Model here:

Have your anti-virus running. The link is good. I downloaded the model. It's complete, even has one folder that reads "ver.2".

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Zathros,

Thanks much!

I didn't have the additions to the Mars base [modules C & D in the V2 file).

My compliments. I don't know how you found this.

I have a bad suspicion that the one I am looking for in this set doesn't exist. You sent the whole set and the new ISS, or VYJDE V as its labeled in the pic, isn't in it either!

I wonder if the ABC editors unintentionally left it off?

I'm still resrewaching, but given what you sent me, the upper module may never have been offered, even if it was photo'ed [see attached].

Much thanks, as you helped me get parts that weren't even photoed!

Attachments

• ISS portion; VYJDE V. ABC 8:2011.png
    ISS portion; VYJDE V. ABC 8:2011.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 3

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
OOPS! Maybe that's why it wasn't in there. I saw the link but since that magazine is so old, and who knows of it's copyright status, in any case, you may have to make that section. It could be done in Paint. It may well be they never released that part. I never heard of that model till I saw this post. It took some real digging to find what I did, and very good virus protection! Funny how I don't have a "reCAPTCHA" issue from Deposit Files? ;)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
We'll, thanks anyway for your efforts. I really appreciate it. I did find this:

thumbnail.jpeg

Apparently the section I have been seeking was made. Its just not easy to find, I guess.

I am still searching. This model portion is only a page and a half from the book.

Getting closer. Thanks for all your help and guidance!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
This kind of looks like it, hard to tell. I'm getting old and feeble. :)

Mars River Co.jpg

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
This kind of looks like it, hard to tell. I'm getting old and feeble. :)

View attachment 201006

Thanks, but that's the other module.

Here are the two pages, I was just sent, but they are too small images to print out:

thumbnail-1.jpeg thumbnail-2.jpeg

The first page is the main page and only the top of the second page relates to the module from this set od direction:

thumbnail.jpeg

So, I now know what I am looking for, and you have all helped! Now I just have to find these two pages as normal PDF's, as I have been advised that the magazine is a foreign printing form 11 years ago! Not easy to find!

But...getting closer...

Thanks all for your help!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
On this Pinterest page, if you scroll almost down to the bottom, you will see all the parts in individual .jpegs. You could easily kit-bash a 6 sided section and use magnets to hold it in place till or if you find that last upper stage. No one would know the difference, and frankly, I think you could make it look even better. There is enough there that if you are good with "Paint" you could recolor and replace the graphics to make it look like the piece you're looking for. I think that's the best you will be able to do. I've looked everywhere and don't even see the magazine for sale anywhere.

Link = https://www.pinterest.com/rforghieri/paper-model-is-serenity/