2OO1 ASO Station V

DanBKing

Dan the Man
As I think most of you know by now, my favorite film is 2OO1 A Space Odyssey.
I started into paper modelling, (and also finding Zealot in the process,) with the goal of possessing paper models of all the main space craft from the film.

My most favorite ship is the Discovery, so that model began my paper modelling odyssey.
A very close second comes Station V, so I started this project in between other builds, and worked on it on and off for around 2 years so far!

As I managed to recover a good portion of my construction pics of this model, I decided to post a build thread of my process. I will endeavor to make this an entertaining build thread, however it will not be in real modelling time, as most of it will be catch-up! The model as it stands now is 90% complete, I mainly just have to finish the cabling on the spokes to finish her off.
I'll post regular updates to get us quicker to the point where I am now with the model.

But, before we begin, I think we should bow our heads and give a minutes silence to commemorate the fate of the original filming model...............

ss4.jpeg images.jpeg
tumblr_nm7bdyI8AG1u2ary4o3_1280.jpeg tumblr_nm7bdyI8AG1u2ary4o4_1280.jpeg

I sad sight indeed. :sadno:

Let us begin.....!

This model by Uhu is a very well engineered template with tight tolerances. As I have learned, there is little room for error or mistakes and thus building accuracy is paramount.
I would not recommend this model for a beginner.

One of the attractive and functional parts of this stations design are the spokes and associated tension cable systems.
For this model, Uhu recommends using stiffened thread, achieved by using glue and weights, for the cables themselves. At first I was not sold on this idea and sought an alternative for the thread. I went out to the shops (pre-Covid times,) and found a white plastic coated wire at 0.35mm diameter.

So, before diving in and starting the model, I decided to build one spoke assembly with one set of cables using the 0.35mm wire as a test bed.

I will explain the build process of these a little later, but for now, I'll show you what I came up with.
I also learned a lot from the build of these, and realized jigs were needed to be made, for accuracy. More on these a little later.

The spoke was rolled, the mounting rail made up and the 0.35mm wire was attached to the cable frames, as per the instructions.

4.jpg 3.jpg

The cable assembly attachment brackets were added to the spoke..

9.jpg 6.jpg

The cable assemblies were attached to the mounting rail .....

5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 11.jpg

And finally the assembly was attached to the mounting points on the spoke, and not very well, I might add.....

10.jpg

I liked the look of the finish of the cables, but due to the stiffness of the wire, it was difficult to align the mounting frames.
For my feeling the 0.35mm wire looked out of scale and could of been doing with a diameter of between 0.20 mm and 0.25 mm, instead of 0.35 mm.

What do you guys think?

:wave:

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
Looking great so far!

I wonder if there isn't some secret graveyard where studio and movie models go to die after they are thrown out. It's sad the model was discarded. If I had been involved with the movie I would have wanted to bring it home with me.

So, when are you going to do the Orion planes?

DanBKing

Dan the Man
So, when are you going to do the Orion planes?

Already done mate...... No build thread unfortunately....... The post below has been updated to replace the missing photos......

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I think that you did a great job on this test. Everything looks FANTASTIC!
As for using thinner wire (or stiffened thread), you can always do such. I think that it would work well too.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Wait for the ring; it is strong, It has a magic of might. ~ Edith Nesbit

I made the decision to attack the most intricate part of the model first... The Under-Construction Ring..... (UCR from now on.... ;))

Everything should be a breeze after that..... Right? :cool:

Anybody that is going to attempt this model, I strongly advise to stock up on cutting blades. On the UCR alone, I used a total of 22 #11 blades .... :eek:
Start the cutting process with a new blade and change it, as soon as you feel the cut begin to 'drag'. The blades only wear at the tips, so they can always be reused for more 'robust' parts, or for your future projects.

Some of the rails are only around 0,5 mm wide..... A sharp blade is essential!

14,5.jpg

I started off by cutting out the internal sections of the cross frames....

14.jpg

... along with 4 sets for one of the ring sides. Everything was done in 4 sets of quadrants.
I edge-coloured the cut-outs where required.

15.jpg 16.jpg

Using a flat piece of 10mm thick foamboard as a work surface, I taped up and glued the 4 ring parts together. I used a pin to keep the center perfect

17.jpg

Once dry, I first cut out the outer circumference of the ring, followed by the inner. Job done....

18.jpg

And now the fun part..........

19.jpg

The cross frames were cut from the carrier and using a thin bead of glue on the frame edge, each frame was glued to the side, keeping the order correct. and ensuring the outer edges line up perfectly.
I used a machine-squared block of aluminum to hold the frames as vertical as possible while drying.

19,3.jpg 20.jpg

Next up the flooring panels were fitted... I curved them slightly first to aid in fitting.

21.jpg 22.jpg

Next up the same process was used to cut out and assemble the other side pieces of the ring.
The earlier made section was then attached to the new ring, using the same method as before.
The assembled first half of the ring is quite sturdy, even at this stage.

23.jpg

So, that completes the first section of the UCR. The ring has now become quite sturdy and stands up on its own!

24.jpg 25.jpg 26.jpg
27.jpg 28.jpg
29.jpg

See you all soon with more!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, you banged all this out so fast! (It seems that way from the progress pics). It must have been painstaking. Everything looks just like it should, the spoke speaks for itself. ;)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Wow, you banged all this out so fast! (It seems that way from the progress pics).

Thanks. As I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, I started this build around 2 years ago, so I am posting the build pics from that time.
Once I catch up with the pics to where I am now, then the thread will be posted in real time! :cool:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks. As I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, I started this build around 2 years ago, so I am posting the build pics from that time.
Once I catch up with the pics to where I am now, then the thread will be posted in real time! :cool:

The images and unreal nature of time expressed has the appearance that you banged out the many many hours of works in 10 minutes or so. Something seasoned modelers know, but sometimes, it just looks like people bang out a model a day, an "forumtical" illusion. Most impressive build. :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Warning! Image heavy! :biggrin:

Moving along....!

With the main structure of the UCR completed, it is time to assemble the rest of the parts, starting with the outer circumference.
But that, of course, requires more cutting....

As all the remaining parts for the UCR were on the same pages, I decided to cut out everything in one sitting. That's about 4 hours straight right there......

30.jpg 30,2.jpg

Once I had rested my aching fingers, I couldn't resist the temptation to see what the model will look like, with 1 of 4 pre-cut inner ring sections laid in place. It's getting exciting now! :biggrin:

30,5.jpg

Attaching the parts for the outer circumference is are the most difficult part of the assembly, in my opinion. Any wavy bits here will not look good in the end. It is just a matter of taking your time and working on one block at a time.
When I cut out the larger inner sections of the outer frame, I left a tiny sliver uncut at each corner, thereby holding the offcut in place. My idea was that this would help in keeping the frame square during assembly. Seemed to work relatively well, but some fell out, due to over jealous cutting. Any remaining after assembly were nipped out with sharp pointed scissors.

31.jpg 32.jpg 33.jpg

Next up, the 4 side pieces for the inner ring..... These are a little simpler to attach, but still, take your time, making sure nothing is twisted or bent.

34.jpg 36.jpg

35.jpg 37.jpg

And finally, the parts for the inner circumference were attached. I found it easier to assemble these parts with the ring standing on its outer circumference.

38.jpg 39.jpg

So, I am pleased to say, that is the main assembly for the Under Construction Ring complete! :laughrolling:
Here are some beauty shots of the completed work, so far..... I'm not worried about the red bleed from the edge colouring on some parts, as that will be covered by detail parts later on, and won't be seen. A few touch-ups and repairs required here and there, but I'll do that later.

Enjoy!

45.jpg44.jpg
40.jpg42.jpg41.jpg43.jpg43,5.jpg

See y'all soon!