2011 BMW M3

Mark Crowel

User of old school drafting tools; no CAD.
Not the kind of car I normally do, because I prefer American cars that were made before 1975. However, this one was done for a friend. Thought I'd share it before mailing it to him.
First, the actual car:

Attachments

• bmw3 (1).jpg
    bmw3 (1).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 4
  • bmw1 (5).jpg
    bmw1 (5).jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 4
  • bmw2 (1).jpg
    bmw2 (1).jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 3

Mark Crowel

The completed model. My friend wanted me to use an adhesive vinyl covering instead of colored paper on this model. With colored paper, I can print the details from my master sheets directly onto it. The vinyl, however, will not accept print when going through my copier. I had to place the master sheets onto the vinyl, and scribe the detail lines onto the vinyl by going over the master sheets with a pen. Then, I had to ink in the detail lines on the vinyl.

With colored paper, I can glue the features such as lights and grills directly onto it. With the vinyl, I had to take a razor blade, and cut and peel away from the vinyl the area where the features would be, so I could glue them to the exposed cardboard underneath.

I think this will be the last time I use self adhesive vinyl as a surface covering for my models.

Attachments

• P1010001 (4).JPG
    P1010001 (4).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • P1010002 (3).JPG
    P1010002 (3).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • P1010003 (4).JPG
    P1010003 (4).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • P1010004 (4).JPG
    P1010004 (4).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • P1010005 (3).JPG
    P1010005 (3).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Mark Crowel

I will consider that a request, but first I have to do a Volga station wagon for a friend in Russia.

In one of your posts on the Valiant thread, you mentioned fixing a gas tank on a '73. Were you referring to your MG?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Despite the issues with the vinyl I like the model. Your very own style adds much charme to the finished product. I'm looking forward to your next project! :)

Mark Crowel

Thank you for the encouragement I receive on this forum.
Next project will be a 1999 Volga (Russian car) station wagon.
BTW, any photos of the rear of that Alvis?

Mark Crowel

An update on the model: my friend received it in the mail today, and he is very happy with it. I feel a lot better, now.