2001 ASO. Uhu02's EVA Pod by DanBKing

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The "Bone", from the beginning that turns into a Spaceship!!! :sticktongue::wink:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Dude, if it's the Discovery Pod, and it comes out as good as your Discovery, well, WOW!!

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
@subnuke ; I was about to say looks like a UHU02 creation... but you nailed it :)

I'm also looking forward to this one! Funny enough, I was just listening to POD! (Ok, I admit, it's a tenuous link)

I'll just open the pod doors now....

HALlo!!! (Off we go again... ;))

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
The "Bone", from the beginning that turns into a Spaceship!!! :sticktongue::wink:

Kuberic's symbolic imagery regarding violence and evolution has always disturbed people. He was not only a brilliant film maker but his philosophical suggestion about intelligence and predation has been poorly discussed or considered. I recall my professor in my film class struggling to discuss the skill the director manifested while avoiding the message that Kubrick suggested.

:headbange:

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
True, but Kubrick was a bit "weird" in some of his presentation, not easily consumed by the masses :)

With some thought you can understand the "LSD scheme" in 2001 but most people don't get it!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
True, but Kubrick was a bit "weird" in some of his presentation, not easily consumed by the masses :)

With some thought you can understand the "LSD scheme" in 2001 but most people don't get it!

With some LSD, you didn't need to think about anything, except for why he kept interjecting the face of that astronaut:astronaut::eek::astronaut::bulgeeye::astronaut::cold::astronaut::sticktongue::astronaut::jawdrop:, totally bummed out the trip man. Like, wow, wft?:drinksmile: I just reach for more pop corn. I hadn't purchased any, but the chick next to me didn't seem to noticed. :noteeth:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
She may have been with me, I may have had a few girls with me. I was young dumb, and they were girls, you never had less than two. ;)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Give Light and People Will Find The Way ~ Ella Baker

Hiya all. Here we go again in furthering my goal of having all the paper models of the main spacecraft from the film 2001 A Space Odyssey.

This will be my version of Uhu02's EVA Pod. I'm gonna go the whole hog with this one, with full interior and external lighting.
The main body will be water shaped and back tabbed, in a similar fashion to my Discovery model, so I can hopefully have a smooth ball. (Leave it alone @Cybergrinder :biggrin:)

I printed the model on 200gsm A4 stock. The first and second pages, that contain any instrument panels to be lit up, were also printed out on clear acetate.

The instrument panels were cut cleanly from the acetate sheet. Be careful when you cut out printed acetate, if you use scissors, the print can flake off the film at the edges of the cut line. Use a sharp knife and steel rule, and use 2 or 3 passes to cut it out.
The paper templates for the instrument panels were also cut out, however, all the buttons, knobs and screens that are indicated as lit up, were cut out from the paper template. Long job that was!
Using my light box, I carefully lined up the acetate to the paper template and glued them together using spray glue.

In the picture below, the piece in the front is the acetate, the paper template is behind it. The part on the left is glued together.

IMG-20171231-02837.jpg

The acetate sheet comes with a thin backing paper. When the parts were cut from the sheet, I had these pieces of backing paper over that are in the same shape as the panel. I glued these to the back of the paper panel with spray glue. This will act as a diffuser for the lights.
The main instrument panel was assembled as per the instructions. On the backing paper, I used various coloured markers to enhance the colours of the buttons a little.

IMG-20171226-02854.jpg

I made up the floor and back panel assembly. The panels were made up the same way as the main panels. I used black card on the back of the rear walls to prevent light leaks.
The red panels are actually lens covers from a barcode scanner. Once lit, I am hoping it will give the interior of the pod the red glow as seen in the film.

IMG-20171226-02861.jpg IMG-20171226-02859.jpg IMG-20171226-02863.jpg IMG-20171226-02858.jpg
a56e01b7cde123797c8580a3de29c6ec--sci-fi-films--a-space-odyssey.jpg

Now I just have to figure out how I am gonna light this thing ..........

IMG-20171226-02853.jpg

I'll be back when I have more progress.

See ya!

:wave:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Wow, you're of to a great start. The Red panels really shine nicely. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
To echo Zathros, you are off to a great start on this project!
I am following this closely. Once I am able to start building again, I ma want to use some of your techniques for my builds.

Tonino

Great Dan! Your brain works at the same wavelenght than mine! This is a thing I always wanted to do, at least this was my first thought when I first saw the buiding chronicle by UHU02 on his blog.

In a first time I wanted to make the same thing also on my shuttle (lighting ALL the panels from behind like seen on all operational photos of shuttle cockpit) I was discouraged by the many problems that this choice would have taken to my build.
Now, seeing your project, I decided to give, at least, some lighting to my cabin putting some LEDs inside fluorescent lamps on the ceiling. I never used LEDs in my models before but I'm confident...

One question: what kind of acetate (and printer) did you use for the panels? Are they transparent sheets for photocopy? Did you print them with a colour laser printer?
I never had good results printing on transparent sheets. The laser printer give pale colours, with very low saturation (perhaps this is the reason for you gave marker touches to the backing paper).
The inkjet transparent sheets I tried have a rough surface not good for little scale details...

I'm sticked to this one... cannot wait for your lighting tests... :)