2001 ASO. Uhu02's EVA Pod by DanBKing

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
You're in pretty good shape, for the shape you're in. ~ Dr. Seuss.

@Jacopo1969 In this forum we learn everything from everybody. ;) I have followed your build thread on this model, and you have helped me a lot, so far. thumbsupthumbsup

A perfect example of this help, was to be aware of how weak and thin, the fuselage parts become while cutting. I think the trickiest and weakest section, is around the frame of the door. I cut out everything apart from around the door frame, just to give it the most support, and this was trimmed out last.

IMG-20180103-02916.jpg

It's time to get things into shape here........

A small tutorial included ...... ;)

Getting your balls smooth with water ..... a.k.a - Water-Shaping techniques.

One thing to note before I begin: All of my models are printed on a laser printer. The techniques I use below, have not been tested on inkjet prints, and I therefore cannot guarantee the outcome. But it can be done, (I think,) using pigment ink instead of dye based ink, on an inkjet......

Once both hemispheres were cut out, I tacked the various part strips together with thin strips of masking tape from behind. Use all and any detail and reference lines on the surface of the model, and get these accurately aligned as possible, as well as the top and bottom edges.
It looks something like this when done .......

IMG-20180103-02919.jpg IMG-20180103-02923.jpg

When I did the water shaping of my Discovery, I used a deflated ball and plastic christmas decorations to shape the command module... http://www.zealot.com/threads/2001-aso-ussc-discovery-one.172205/page-9#post-997064
However, this time I used a very versatile and cheaper alternative to the neighbours kids' ball, (that got kicked over the fence.. ;) ) ....... Party balloons!! They mold into any form ..... :)

IMG-20180127-02964.jpg

I blew up a party balloon to the approximate size of the plastic ball. If you place the inflated balloon into one half of the plastic ball and then add the other half, the balloon should just begin to compress as you join the halves.

I placed one hemisphere section, face down, into one half of the ball. I use my fingers, which I lick regularly, to push all the strips of the part into their correct positions, making sure you do not overlap any of the strips. Licking your fingers as you work, begins the shaping process by very lightly dampening the paper from behind.
Once I was satisfied that all was in place, I dampened a piece of kitchen paper with water and wrung it out with my fingers. I then dabbed this over the back of the part. No need to soak it, just damp. You want to see a very thin film of water over the paper surface.

I then placed the pre-inflated balloon in the plastic half, on top of the hemisphere..... I placed a used roll of tape on top of the balloon, which will increase the compression pressure a little more when the ball is joined. It's a tricky balance to get right. Practice it before you commit to wetting the part. Without having to inflate or deflate the balloon, try using bigger or smaller compression pieces, other than the roll of tape, as in this example....

IMG-20180127-02967.jpg IMG-20180127-02969.jpg

Once compressed, check that everything is as it should be, if not, release the halves and re-seat the parts where necessary and recompress. Tape the ball halves together to prevent them popping apart under the pressure.

IMG-20180127-02973.jpg

Now,leave it alone for 24 hours.....

Then, separate the ball halves, remove the balloon and carefully remove the shaped hemisphere.

It is then a case of back-tabbing the strips together of each hemisphere, pulling the joints as tightly together as possible, but allowing the paper to keep its formed shape without deforming.

FEEL the paper ......... ;)

On the left is the result of water-shaping, straight out of the form. On the right, the back-tabbed front hemisphere.....

IMG-20180107-02940.jpg

The front grill section needs to be finalized and a bit of trimming here and there, but I'm happy with that........ :) ;)

IMG-20180107-02947.jpg

Gonna get the back hemisphere up to the same level next.....

Laters!

:wave:

Last edited:

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Once again I feel the lack of a "SUPERLIKE" button to click... :)

As I already thought, following Discovery thread, the first (not the only...) difficulty I see in this technique is the need to find a plastic sphere of the exact diameter of the piece you are going to build. I don't think any tolerance is possible, the curvature must be exactly the one you need. This is the main problem: where to find your "perfect ball"? Perhaps in northern Europe, where Christmas decoration are a very diffuse tradition, it's easier to find the ball you need...

...anyway you are confirmed to be our major BALL AUTHORITY here at Zealot! ;) :D

Reactions: Nando and DanBKing

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the advice, I didn't know I could search for this item too...
My fault, I should have known that ALL is available on Amazon (but they don't sell to San Marino...:()

Do you always find the exact size or you resize the model accordingly to... the balls you have? (OK... this can be misunderstood...:))

Reactions: DanBKing

Jacopo1969

Nov 13, 2017
You're in pretty good shape, for the shape you're in. ~ Dr. Seuss.

@Jacopo1969 In this forum we learn everything from everybody. ;) I have followed your build thread on this model, and you have helped me a lot, so far. thumbsupthumbsup

A perfect example of this help, was to be aware of how weak and thin, the fuselage parts become while cutting. I think the trickiest and weakest section, is around the frame of the door. I cut out everything apart from around the door frame, just to give it the most support, and this was trimmed out last.

View attachment 163361

It's time to get things into shape here........

A small tutorial included ...... ;)

Getting your balls smooth with water ..... a.k.a - Water-Shaping techniques.

One thing to note before I begin: All of my models are printed on a laser printer. The techniques I use below, have not been tested on inkjet prints, and I therefore cannot guarantee the outcome. But it can be done, (I think,) using pigment ink instead of dye based ink, on an inkjet......

Once both hemispheres were cut out, I tacked the various part strips together with thin strips of masking tape from behind. Use all and any detail and reference lines on the surface of the model, and get these accurately aligned as possible, as well as the top and bottom edges.
It looks something like this when done .......

View attachment 163362 View attachment 163363

When I did the water shaping of my Discovery, I used a deflated ball and plastic christmas decorations to shape the command module... http://www.zealot.com/threads/2001-aso-ussc-discovery-one.172205/page-9#post-997064
However, this time I used a very versatile and cheaper alternative to the neighbours kids' ball, (that got kicked over the fence.. ;) ) ....... Party balloons!! They mold into any form ..... :)

View attachment 163364

I blew up a party balloon to the approximate size of the plastic ball. If you place the inflated balloon into one half of the plastic ball and then add the other half, the balloon should just begin to compress as you join the halves.

I placed one hemisphere section, face down, into one half of the ball. I use my fingers, which I lick regularly, to push all the strips of the part into their correct positions, making sure you do not overlap any of the strips. Licking your fingers as you work, begins the shaping process by very lightly dampening the paper from behind.
Once I was satisfied that all was in place, I dampened a piece of kitchen paper with water and wrung it out with my fingers. I then dabbed this over the back of the part. No need to soak it, just damp. You want to see a very thin film of water over the paper surface.

I then placed the pre-inflated balloon in the plastic half, on top of the hemisphere..... I placed a used roll of tape on top of the balloon, which will increase the compression pressure a little more when the ball is joined. It's a tricky balance to get right. Practice it before you commit to wetting the part. Without having to inflate or deflate the balloon, try using bigger or smaller compression pieces, other than the roll of tape, as in this example....

View attachment 163365 View attachment 163366

Once compressed, check that everything is as it should be, if not, release the halves and re-seat the parts where necessary and recompress. Tape the ball halves together to prevent them popping apart under the pressure.

View attachment 163367

Now,leave it alone for 24 hours.....

Then, separate the ball halves, remove the balloon and carefully remove the shaped hemisphere.

It is then a case of back-tabbing the strips together of each hemisphere, pulling the joints as tightly together as possible, but allowing the paper to keep its formed shape without deforming.

FEEL the paper ......... ;)

On the left is the result of water-shaping, straight out of the form. On the right, the back-tabbed front hemisphere.....

View attachment 163368

The front grill section needs to be finalized and a bit of trimming here and there, but I'm happy with that........ :) ;)

View attachment 163369

Gonna get the back hemisphere up to the same level next.....

Laters!

@DanBKing That is incredible! I wish I knew about this before I built mine!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Do you always find the exact size or you resize the model accordingly to... the balls you have?

The (my) balls go from 4cm diameter, stepping up in 1 cm increments up to 150 cm diameter.
UHU's models are all metric, so I think most of the former balls will fit his models, one way or another.
But, if it doesn't fit, then use a bigger hammer...... :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Thank you for a great the tutorial Dan. I must try it this way - to glue after forming. I always glued before forming, but then I needed to find accurate ball size for forming.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You've taken water forming to the extreme. This technique is also used in the aviation industry, except they are called bladders, and the result is the same. You evolved you method, and the results are absolutely superb!!!

:Bravo::iagree::King::yesyes:

Last edited:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Smooth paper Balls. Tutorial, Pt.2 ...

Let me add to this a little......
( I thought I'd better add the 'paper' part to the heading of this post, before I get my hand smacked by the boss/es. :D ;) )

Anyway, I have not yet used any 'perfect fit' plastic ball former; you want to be close, but not critically. Remember also, that due to the plastic thickness, the inner and outer diameters are different..... ;) On the Discovery project, I formed the command sphere on the inner diameter and used the outer diameter, of the same forming ball, as an assembly/cutting/forming aid.

The objective is to warp the flat paper, to follow the desired contour, it doesn't need to be perfect.

In the exaggerated sketch below, the red shows the part if assembled without water forming. Blue is the desired shape.
To achieve this, it is necessary to stretch the flat paper between the peaks of the part joints, (assuming each side of the hexagon is a part.)
Untitled.png
I wouldn't recommend gluing the parts first and then water shaping, as some glues will soften and give way under the stress, spoiling the work. I've never tried it though, I'm just assuming. :)

I am sure there are many forms you can find to shape parts, my pack of party balloons has the long thin variety too, would work for tubes, I guess....

The most important thing to remember: You need less water than you think!
Don't overdo it!
If you lick your finger and press it to a piece of paper, the left over 'spit' on the paper when you remove your finger, is the sort of film of water you are looking for, over the whole of the inside of the part/s to be formed.

When you are ready to 'go for it', dampen the paper as described earlier, and leave it alone for about a minute. Let it soak a little....
Make any final adjustments, treating the paper with utmost care, it will tear easily when damp. And then gently apply the pressure to COAX, not force, the paper into shape.

There is no rush in doing this process. The end result is only achieved when the paper has dried out.

Water shaping gives you a basic shape. The final shaping of the part is achieved during the gluing process. Try not to deform the shaped parts, apply any finger pressure only to the actual joint.
All the joints are back tabbed with thin strips across the joint and formed, one at a time. As you glue each backing strip, pull the joint as tight together as possible, without deforming anything. Don't force things, be gentle and FEEL the paper into shape. :cool::smoker:

I always start by aligning and gluing any obvious texture joins first, especially text and lines. Get those perfect over the whole part, then fill in between with tabs.
Both these parts we formed in the same ball, at the same time. The text and markings on the door, highlights this point of critical alignment....

IMG-20180106-02928.jpg IMG-20180131-02980.jpg

The above parts have one more stage of the process to go yet, but this will be examined in the final part of this tutorial, to come a little later: ......'Burnishing your Balls......' :sticktongue:

Oh, and if any of you are interested in the reaction of paper to water, see here: https://www.seas.harvard.edu/softmat/downloads/2011-05.pdf :biggrin:

See ya!

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Spherical Burnishing, as opposed to Roller Burnishing I assume. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::Bravo::Bravo::Bravo::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Well, this proves that the best results are gained while working under pressure. :cool:

Dan, this should be made into a tutorial.

@uhu02 san! Please take a look at this!!!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
We're like a deer, caught in the headlights ...

I built up the chassis, because the parts determine the height of the interior, and also contains lighting.

The headlights of the pod will be lit. I'm using 'warm white' LED's for these.

The lower headlights are 1mm larger in outer diameter then the upper ones. The paper lenses were discarded and clear ones made.
I punched out the inner diameters of the lenses, in groups of 11mm & 12mm diameters, on spare paper.
I then glued clear acetate film, using spray glue, onto the back of the hole punched sheet.
Once dry, and after many attempts, I managed to punch out a 1mm larger circle around the holes. The resulting paper ring is 0.5mm wide. That process tested my patience, I can tell you!
The results can be seen laying on the black card, in the photo below..

Knowing the circular inner and outer dimensions of the lights, I used the trusty flat cone calculator, http://craig-russell.co.uk/demos/cone_calculator/ and made up the reflectors for the headlights. I used aluminium tape for the reflective foil.
I wrapped a spacer ring from black card around each LED, so that only the tip of it protruded slightly into the cone. This was then glued to the back of the cone.

IMG-20180202-02987.jpg

All the parts for the chassis were cut, folded and made up, ready for final assembly.....

IMG-20180203-02996.jpg

More soon!

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The above picture is functional beautiful parts layout. It doesn't get better than that! You're experience from The 2001 Odyssey is no doubt paying off. My hats off to you. :Bravo:thumbsup:yesyes::hide:

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Oh, Oh, Holy Moses, what a chassis! ~ Buddy De Silva

It was a busy week, but I managed to get a few hours to do a bit of modelling and finish up the assembly of the chassis.

The pods that hold the headlights were fitted to the chassis 'in the flat', to ensure accurate alignment and placement.
I didn't want the headlights to make the pod look like Marty Feldman ....
db468dc76d8ea4fdf9959b039d0e71c5--marty-feldman-funny-faces.jpg IMG-20180206-03002.jpg

All the parts for the grab-handle recesses were fitted and the chassis was assembled. The LED and reflector assemblies were glued to the headlight pods.

IMG-20180208-03006.jpg IMG-20180208-03008.jpg

The headlights were wired up ....

IMG-20180211-03026.jpg

The lenses were very carefully glued to the headlight pods ....

IMG-20180211-03019.jpg

And the headlights were tested!

IMG-20180211-03023.jpg

More soon .....!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Oh, Oh, Holy Moses, what a chassis! ~ Buddy De Silva

It was a busy week, but I managed to get a few hours to do a bit of modelling and finish up the assembly of the chassis.

The pods that hold the headlights were fitted to the chassis 'in the flat', to ensure accurate alignment and placement.
I didn't want the headlights to make the pod look like Marty Feldman ....
View attachment 163505 View attachment 163466

All the parts for the grab-handle recesses were fitted and the chassis was assembled. The LED and reflector assemblies were glued to the headlight pods.

View attachment 163467 View attachment 163468

The headlights were wired up ....

View attachment 163471

The lenses were very carefully glued to the headlight pods ....

View attachment 163469

And the headlights were tested!

View attachment 163470

More soon .....!

That is an really awesome sub assembly. So well executed!! Wow!! :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Looking Great!!.. will save any more comments for later as something about "burnishing balls" gave me a twinge!

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Looking Great!!.. will save any more comments for later as something about "burnishing balls" gave me a twinge!

Haha. It is all about getting your balls as smooth as possible. ..... Not easy to do in paper....... But, there again, for the dirty minded among us........