1954 Hudson Hornet, Mobius 1/25 scale kit

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
That cat was quite a thing. He came to us as a young cat, was shot by some idiot, attacked by a bobcat, and survived both. My little rat terrier loved him and Sylvester tolerated her. They were really buddies. I couldn’t find the pic with the dog on the cat’s back, ‘attacking’ him. He just tolerated it.

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
That cat was quite a thing. He came to us as a young cat, was shot by some idiot, attacked by a bobcat, and survived both. My little rat terrier loved him and Sylvester tolerated her. They were really buddies. I couldn’t find the pic with the dog on the cat’s back, ‘attacking’ him. He just tolerated it.
Sounds a tough and rugged puss, thanks for the memories - my friend has just lost their cat to 'an idiot' Although she made it home, but did not survive.
There really is some truly dumb-ass stupidity from people shooting domestic pets!

Reactions: OldMiner

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
When you primer paint the body, that's when the crack will show. That's the point where you do any filling, sanding, till it's acceptanle to you. Primer is a great filler and on it's own can hide many things. :)

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
Thanks for the tip! I’m being pretty lazy. Wife is going to help me mix a tan color for the interior and I want to start experimenting with the air brush. I have never operated one, so this will be a test.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Thanks for the tip! I’m being pretty lazy. Wife is going to help me mix a tan color for the interior and I want to start experimenting with the air brush. I have never operated one, so this will be a test.
Single, or double action, doesn't mater, the key is paint consistency and air pressure. for enamels or lacquers, you want the paint to flow like skim milk, then spray at 15 to 23 PSIG. acrylics, you want the paint to flow like 2% milk, and spray at 10 to 15 PSIG. Be sure to adjust your pressure settings with the airbrush spraying air, remember that with most systems, static pressure will be slightly higher than flow pressure.

When spraying acrylics, a flow retarder is recommended, to keep the paint from drying in the air. Enamels can be thinned with enamel thinner or lacquer thinner, lacquers can only be thinned with lacquer thinners. Acrylics can be thinned with water, or alcohol, but most hobby grade acrylics recommend their own matching thinner.

The Iwata/Medea airbrushing basics pamphlet can be found at many hobby stores for a low price.

Reactions: OldMiner

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
Thank you! I have a cheap, double action gun with a tiny compressor that is adjustable. No pressure gauge, but I figured it will work… max pressure says 35 psi. I have a professional, VERY expensive compressor, for metal engraving (past hobby) but I don’t have room or energy to use it now. So, the cheap one will do.
Acrylic, cheap hobby paint.
We live in (well, near) the middle of nowhere, so there are no hobby stores. Probably 250 miles to the closest one. But, youtube has millions of video how-to instructors to sift through.

Another project has come up. (Surprise) I have to get a presentation together for my wife. Her father died last week and I have been tasked with making a memorial pictorial presentation. That means getting the old laptop running, getting the slide scanner going, and sifting through a mountain of slides for proper ones. While I am at it, I plan to scan all of the slides that are still good. This will take some time…

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Sorry for your loss. I use a Neo, it's a cheaper (less than $50 USD) Chinese clone of the Iwata Eclipse. But it is made under license, and sold by Iwata dealers. It has served me well for nearly 15 years, and I use a small Harbor Freight hobby compressor, I added a small cheap HF moisture trap, with a regulator and gauge built in. My whole airbrushing set up was less than $100 USD. I have to drive 45 miles to go to a real hobby store (HobbyTown USA in Kennesaw Ga) I have been getting all my supplies off the internet.

Here is the HTML version of the Iwata basics guide.

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
Sorry for your loss. I use a Neo, it's a cheaper (less than $50 USD) Chinese clone of the Iwata Eclipse. But it is made under license, and sold by Iwata dealers. It has served me well for nearly 15 years, and I use a small Harbor Freight hobby compressor, I added a small cheap HF moisture trap, with a regulator and gauge built in. My whole airbrushing set up was less than $100 USD. I have to drive 45 miles to go to a real hobby store (HobbyTown USA in Kennesaw Ga) I have been getting all my supplies off the internet.

Here is the HTML version of the Iwata basics guide.

This is the air brush I got. They had a big discount at the time so it came in at right 50 bucks. It appears to be very well built. I thought if the little compressor dies eventually, I’ll just dig out my fancy one. It is a Silent 50 compressor.

4A11579F-1D8F-48D5-BACF-B4A86BD0A988.jpeg

4E7C6B80-A1A2-431F-91A2-BBC2147D7230.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: micahrogers