www.internettrains.com bad experiences!!!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Jim Krause said:
I sent Internet Trains a friendly email a month ago to let them know that their reputation was going down the tube. I got a reply, blaming a new computer system and thanking me for the heads up. Doesn't sound like much has changed.
From the sounds of it, they've been relying on that excuse for quite awhile now. It's about time to get the new system sorted out or find another system. They need to wake up and realize this "new computer system" is going to eventually kill their business.

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Huh, I guess I'll stick with Walthers.com & RRtrains.com... On and Sushob.com.

CRed said:
*EDIT*Their BBB rating isn't bad though,27 complaints in about 6 years although most people don't go as far as going to the BBB.

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=13133848
You know... I've gone that far, twice now, once with the car dealership my car came from, then the finacial company, because BOTH failed to tell me they were not offering the warranty due to my credit. Dealership lost its BBB rating completely (guess there were a NUMBER of complaints) and they've since changed owners and names, and the finacial company paid for my engine.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Update on my order from Internet trains: Have not received a reply email to my question about my odrer. So, I called their 1-800 number. That was a recording telling me to send them an email about the problem.

I am growing more discouraged and disgruntled as each day passes. But, looking at the bright side, I am learning a valuable lesson about where not to shop on-line.

And I am going to point out that I generally buy stuff from the LHS when I can. But they did not have the items I needed. In retrospect, I should have just had them order the stuff for me.

Maybe I am expecting too much, but I had placed 3 different orders to 3 different places on Jan 29. That was a monday. Believe it or not, 2 of the orders were sitting at my house on Wednesday afternoon. As for the internet train order, their website doesn't even show that they have shipped the stuff yet.

conrailmike

Jan 15, 2007
Highland, MI
All this talk about hobby dealers got me thinkin'.... Do we have a thread in any of these forums that ranks the internet hobby dealers. I mean that way when any one of us, or someone new comes in and is looking for a online dealer there will be a way to keep track of everyone's experiences and rank the best ones out there. It works pretty well, we did this in a paintball forum and I believe one of the photography forums I belong to as well. Just an idea for the moderator(s).....

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
I agree that a place to rate dealers would be a good idea. My purpose in starting this thread was to warn others about this store. A place on this forum with ratings and comments from other modelers would definately spare people some bad experiences.

PS Still no word from internettrains.com.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
This is the best way to do it. Just spread the word. internettrains.com will have to learn or visit chapter 11 of the banks with people reading the words of complaint:thumb: Read and refuse internettrains.com! Of course, I'm probably going to get my sstuff from Walthers. I hear that they are excilent, their structures are fantastic, and they are now the owners of Life-Like (the people who make the P2K's):D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
conrailmike said:
Are you out there moderators??? announce1

:D Yeah, but some of us work for a living and don't get online until the afternoon/evening. sign1 Members are welcome to create a thread rating dealers. I just ask that people be fair and careful about they way they talk about various dealers...avoid trash talk but do tell us your experiences postive or negative.

conrailmike

Jan 15, 2007
Highland, MI
I don't think trash talk is necessary, we could keep it simple, maybe use "+" and "-" next to each dealer's name. Such as:

Caboose Hobbies
www.caboosehobbies.com
Rating: +++++++

Internet Trains
www.internettrains.com
Rating: ----------------------------++

People could leave comments about their experiences also, whether good or bad, but like I said I don't think the "trash talk" would be necessary.

Edit here: Or maybe a letter grading system...???

Yes I also have had the same problem with internettrains. I cancelled the order after 2 months of no product and no emails.
I run a e-business for model trains, and I would be happy to have customers rate my service! And,,, If there was a problem I would certainly make it right. (so I hope someone does start a rating thread) For example...
I recently sold a few detail parts and quoted a shipping cost based on the rate calculator,
well when I mailed it from the post office the charge was $5.00 cheaper! I immediatly refunder the money through paypal! There is no excuse for shabby business practices!!!!
David

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
I would add that ranking/ rating should have a little more detail to keep us informed- Like

Company A:
selection: a+
Customer service: b-
Shipping: c
return policies: f
# times dealing with merchant: 35
additional comments: ordered product A from them, pick and pull time was average. Shipping was overpriced for the slowest method. Product arrived and didnt work, they refused to take it back or make it right.

Thats what I look for when I research things on the internet. Someone could get irritated after one experience with a company and hey, we all have bad days. This internettrains sounds pathetic, and all of the experiences with it say so... I will never shop there. Had this been a one time thing, I still might consider buying from them!

Just my .02

:)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
One has good and bad experiences with many things. Go to a restaurant that you really like and have been going there for years. Great food, impeccable service and reasonable pricing, until the one day that you recommend it to someone or you bring a friend along. The same goes for buying something at a store or ordering by mail, there may be gitches or they're having a bad day, so we have to filter out those "one time" or "unusual" occurrences and try again. New business also need a break to get their procedures ironed out and new personnel up to speed. On the other hand, some of us have more patience than others or are more tolerant and so setting up a rating system is really very subjective and in some cases not very fair. Yeah, there are the bad apples who would take your money and run or couldn't care less about customer service, and the word gets around quickly.

Anyone can open a dialog with others about good and bad experiences with a vendor, I know as a manufacturer, I found it bothersome if someone had an issue with us that affected our relationship and we didn't know about it. We would bend over backwards to make it right had we only known, so some vendors would also welcome criticism. We always welcome a healthy, honest discussion about things like that, but occasionally, some people get carried away and we have to enforce some control. We will not dedicate a forum to this since we've had success with people just opening a thread and voicing their opinions. We do watch these threads closely though since we don't condone product or business "bashing", or flaming. No, "this product stinks" no, "these guys are lairs and cheats" or no, "you people don't know what you're talking about" stuff. Just the facts, and we have to admit, this thread has been very good in avoiding things like that. Those that have contributed to it so far have to be complemented.

If you wish to rate a vendor or a product, that's fine too, just remember that it's a subjective opinion, but it's also something to take into consideration when dealing with these people.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Update on my Internettrain order from Jan 29th.

My email was answered, it was apologetic and respectful, the problems with the order were addressed, and they offered to credit my credit card if I desired to cancel the order. I went ahead and cancelled, and I will get the LHS to order the stuff for me.

So, on that note, I feel okay with the outcome.

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
glad the outcome turned out positive- somewhat. Maybe they will get their act together and bec ome a good place to shop. That is how many businesses with sticking power fix things. Its just so hard online since you don't have a face to look at.

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
glad the outcome turned out positive- somewhat. Maybe they will get their act together and bec ome a good place to shop. That is how many businesses with sticking power fix things. Its just so hard online since you don't have a face to look at.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I just received another email from the company, they gave me a confirmation on the cancellation, and again they were respectful and appreciative of my thoughts and concerns. I had mentioned to them about the reputation they were developing amongst us consumers, and that other on-line companies were providing superior customer service. I am happy to report that the tone of the emails changed my attitude about this company. Perhaps they will make stronger efforts in the future, and I may give them another chance if the occasion arises.

One thing about the LHS I visit. There is always a friendly face, an acknowledgement of my presence, and good conversation. I went ahead and had them order the items I need. Yes, it may cost a bit more, but that's okay.

beezerv

Jun 19, 2006
NJ/CT
I'm glad you got a pleasant response at least. As for mine, 19 business days and counting, no order shipped and no email response. :curse: I dunno what I was thinking giving them a third chance!!

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
I placed an order with Internet Trains a few months ago with the same results. Slooooooowwwwww..... Terribly slow. I won't shop with them again.

I do like the idea of a ratings site. In fact, I have a model railroading domain name that I have been trying to figure out what to do with... Might not be a bad idea.

On the plus side, you will get your order eventually...

I just placed an order last week with Ridge Road Station (they mostly do On30 and G), and the 20lb box was on my doorstep before I even thought they would have shipped it. Shows it can be done...

Good luck,
Scott