Work has finally begun on my first layout...

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
I only need a 2" and 4" riser to make up the rest of the mountain so it won't be long before I start laying some track down. Im starting to think I may gone a bit overboard on the curves. They look really tight! I done it all freelance so its to be expected I suppose....

Attachments

• 121_2166.jpg
    121_2166.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 144

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon
Looks like a good start, Troy, love to see more!

Those symbolise a connection between two sections of track. The <---> tool remove them, but then the track would be disconnected and you would want to use the --><-- tool to put them back :rolleyes: :) :D ;)

Thanks mate, I thought thats what it symbolized.

Troy.

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Ive got a fair bit of the track down now and have some more photos to share....
It wasnt easy laying flextrack for a beginner but Ive worked it out now and its not so bad. One thing I noticed was that the joins have to be soldered before laying flex on curves or I would end up with kinks.

Cheers,

Troy.

Attachments

• 121_2176.jpg
    121_2176.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 80

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
In that last picture I noticed your cork wasn't angled on the outsides like most (or at least like the Midwest stuff I use). What kind of cork is it??

You layout looks good though. I like the track plan. :)

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
CHOO CHOO!!!

CHooOOOOO chooOOOOO!!!!

Doesn't it feel great to finally run a train around? Even if it is just a portion of your entire plan? :) :)

I love it!

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Re: CHOO CHOO!!!

Originally posted by Arlaghan
CHooOOOOO chooOOOOO!!!!

Doesn't it feel great to finally run a train around? Even if it is just a portion of your entire plan? :) :)

I love it!

Yes it sure does!
I can't wait to get the rest of the mountain done now.

Im not sure if I should lay the rest of the track up the mountain now or wait until I have the bridges in place?

Im still undecided on the types of bridges I would like in the two spots where you see gaps in the cork but I was thinking that maybe I can lay the track anyway and then later on I could put the bridges in from under the track.

Anyone have any suggestions for me concerning this?

Thanks,

Troy.

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Originally posted by Hoss
In that last picture I noticed your cork wasn't angled on the outsides like most (or at least like the Midwest stuff I use). What kind of cork is it??

You layout looks good though. I like the track plan. :)

Thanks!

The cork is made by Hanovale Model Castings which is local to my area (Gold Coast, Australia)

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Re: Bridges?

Originally posted by Troy
Im not sure if I should lay the rest of the track up the mountain now or wait until I have the bridges in place?

Im still undecided on the types of bridges I would like in the two spots where you see gaps in the cork but I was thinking that maybe I can lay the track anyway and then later on I could put the bridges in from under the track.

Anyone have any suggestions for me concerning this?

For my layout (1950's era) I wanted to have plenty of wood bridges, so I scratch built a few. I am in the same situation as you, in that I didn't lay the track leading up to it because of the bridges. See, the ties on the bridges are different than regular ties in that they are closer together and wider as well.

What I plan to do is lay that section of track AFTER the bridge is in place. But to do this, I will need to weather it beforehand, to keep the bridge from getting paint on it, then remove the ties from the rails where it crosses the bridge. Here's a picture of one of the bridges I'm talking about:

(The original thread got buried pages ago... can be found here.)

Attachments

• bridge-01[1].jpg
    bridge-01[1].jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 85