woodland scenics scenic cement "new and improved formula"

PennCentralFan

Jan 18, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Have any of you tried the new and improved formula for ballasting. According to the advertisments that I remember and the directions you do not need wet water to ballast.

Is that true? Have any of you tried the new and improved formula to cement your ballast without wet water? How did it work?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Have any of you tried the new and improved formula for ballasting. According to the advertisments that I remember and the directions you do not need wet water to ballast.

One of the things I have learned, in the fifty some years I've been in model railroading, is that a product, or procedure that works perfectly for one, doesn't "work" for another. Whether it is ballasting, or scenery, or tree building, or whatever, we each develope our own "most comfortable" techniques, and products. That said, no I haven't tried WS's "new and improved", and my best recommendation is, try it. Set up a "test area", and try the product. If you like it better than anything else you have used, it's the product for you.
By the way, I do practice what I preach, and will probably give the WS product a try, despite my age, and being "set in my ways".

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I just bought a bottle today, ill let you know how it is here in a few days.

That is what it says on the bottle, it says simply attach the scenic sprayer nozzle to the bottle and then spray on a layer before any scenery is added, then re-spray as you add more layers of scenic material and then spray a final mist over it all when complete.

For ballasting track, the bottle says to use an eye dropper to apply the scenic cement to the tracks.

Im gonna try it out soon, ill post back once I tryed it out, this will be the first time I have used WS Scenic Cement.

farish

Aug 14, 2006
The new and improved Scenic Cement does exactly what "wet water" + Elmer's Glue does. And, yes the WS ballast will still float. if too much liquid is applied.

Chartiers

Still plays with trains
May 8, 2007
West Virginia
chartiers.50webs.com
I just finished ballasting using the "new and improved" Scenic Cement and it seems to work just fine for me. I did notice that it does not settle to the bottom of the container like the old stuff.

I didn't know anything not needing "wet water" with it, I ballasted the same way I always have done it by spraying first with rubbing alcohol and then using an eye dropper to put on the cement.
The ballast dries rock hard.

Didn't have any floating at all, but then again I'm using real rock ballast from Smith & Son. Kind of like the Arizona Rock.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I do practice what I preach, and will probably give the WS product a try, despite my age, and being "set in my ways".
Hmmm, on second thought, I have tried spray on products for scenery, and have never liked the "spraying process". My ground cover is a "paint with ground color latex paint-after dry apply a heavy second coat-add ground cover to the wet paint-tamp in place-and let dry-then vacuum off the loose material" process. The greatest benefit? I don't have to protect the rails when adding scenery, as all the additional scenery is held by applying the "cement" with an eyedropper. I can do small patches at a time and there is no "wind"(from the sprayer) to disrupt the placement of scenic elements. To each their own.
The new and improved Scenic Cement does exactly what "wet water" + Elmer's Glue does. And, yes the WS ballast will still float. if too much liquid is applied.
I may still try it as an "eyedropper applied" product, just to see. WS ballast floating.......just enough cement to saturate the ballast, should be enough. The ballast floats because it is too light weight,and / or the cement is not "wet" enough, to flow into the ballast material. I do prefer Arizona Rock, to the WS ballast, for ballast. The WS product is an excellent "course stone", and filler material, especially where I need a pile of stuff, washed down from the side of the hill, or along the banks of a stream.

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
No answer to the original question but anyway it's in the neighborhood.

I use a common spraybottle that I've borrowed from my wife :wave:

I mix water, white glue and a little detergent and spray it on with the spraybottle. It works great after some practice :thumb: