Wood Trestle Bridge

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Casey,
Thanks for your inputs. A few questions if I may:
1. the ink to alcohol mix; was that a 16 oz bottle?
2. what was the mix for your structures?
3. your attached photos look great. The first one has the tressle wood looking like a brown but the second has the wood looking like a gray color. I'm guessing that the tressles were built with local hardwood soaked in creasote similar to railroad ties.
What color is appropriate?
Thanks, Jim

Jimnrose,

1. Yes, the mix is for a 16 oz. bottle of alcohol. For variety, you might get three bottles of alcohol. To one, add 1 oz of India ink. To the second, add 1-1/2 oz of ink. To the third, add 2 oz of ink. The different dilutions will cause different levels of "weathering." This is a great techinque to use with board-by-board scratchbuilding. A lot of variation is possible.

2. The actual mix for structures depends upon what effect I'm trying to achieve. Most of the time, though, I'm looking for weathered white and red oak. Because I'm making a stain that will be disposed of, I use plain acrylic craft paints available at WalMart for less than $1.00 each. Also, note that this procedure works best with stripwood and board-by-board construction. Grooved siding will warp badly and require heavy weighting while drying should you choose to try it.

Here's the basic mix: 20 oz. of water, 1 tsp India ink, 1 tsp burnt umber, 1 tsp raw umber. Mix thorougly. Pour the "stain" into a ziplock-style bag containing the stripwood. Let the wood set in the stain for at least 4 hours, then turn the bag and redistribute the pigments which have settled. Repeat the turning periodically for the next several hours. After 24 hours or so, the wood will be nicely stained and weathered. Remove the stripwood from the bag and allow to air dry on newspaper. Believe it or not, the warpage will be minimal (unless, that is, you stained grooved or scribed siding!) The resulting wood will resemble weathered white oak. For a red oak stain, substitute Siennas for umbers. For generic weathered wood (i.e., fir), use 1 tsp. India ink, 1 tsp. flat black, 1 tsp. raw umber, 3/4-1 tsp. burnt Sienna.

3. Jim, the honest truth is that both trestles are nearly identical in color. The difference you see is because of the difference in layout lighting. The trestle with the Santa Fe boxes in the background was built over 20 years ago on a layout in the basement of my last home. The lighting was quite a bit different than what I use now, and it affected the film differently. Also, the 35mm slide has aged somewhat and the colors aren't quite as true.

I'll attach a photo of some board-by-board construction using the acrylic stain technique.

Attachments

• interior 3.jpg
    interior 3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 118