Wiring help please

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
SAL Comet said:
One problem with using dielectric grease is that the definition of dielectric is a material that will not conduct electricity. Preventing the lose of conductivity with nonconductive grease doesn't seem like a good idea. IMHO

SAL the grease is not used to conduct electricity but to prevent oxides from forming in rail joint.

francismaximus

Jan 9, 2005
Harriman, NY
its dielectric because it prevents what its covering from giving off electrons thus prventing corrosion or losing electric current from what connections its protecting. It has been used in many many car harnesses over the years both inside and out of the vehicle. Now I'm no knocking trains but cars have up to twelve computers onboard that are networked and must pass a ton of information back and forth in a miiliseconds time. I am quite sure if dielectric grease can protect these circuits, then it should be able to protect a simple 12v dc + - circuit. IMHO

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
XavierJ123 said:
Boy, I wish I knew what ya'll were talking about. I need that book, "Basic Wiring for Dummies." I guess the "bus" is one main electric wire from the transformer and you connect "feeder wires" to it every 6 feet of track. I think this is called wiring in series.
Right about the bus but it would actually be parallel wiring not series.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
Will_annand said:
I am wiring mine in block format for Cab control DC, no buses on my line.

And not just because mine is set in 1880, LOL
If you run a wire around the layout and tap to it to feed the track at various points it's a bus whether it's DC or DCC. For 1880 time frame you would use a series pattern - a string inline with the loke :D

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Actually, I have wired my layout as per Shamus' information, he has the info up on his website "How I Make A Model Railroad Layout".

The track directly to wired to DPDT switches on the control panel, the onlt "Bus" wire I guess is the one that goes between all the switches and to the power pack.