Wilhelmshaven 1:200 scale USS Constitution

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Thanks, Barry and Rob! :D

I was hoping to get a lot more done over the weekend, but those head rails slowed up the build a bit. :? And I wish I had the steady hand to enhance the white lines on the trim, but I don't and I didn't want to chance making a muckup with it...so it looks a bit rough...and the closeups don't forgive the mistakes much, do they? But if you look at it from afar (like six or more feet) it looks better! :lol:

Still, I'm having fun so that's the main point. :lol:

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
I was able to make a little more progress so far this weekend, so here's a few updates.

Having the experience of making the port head rails last time, the starboard side went a lot faster. I also added a second layer of the rails to the port side, which I think gives it the correct thickness for the railings based on my eyeballing the photo. The way I ended up applying them was to trim the rails from the kit parts, leaving out the knee prints, and trimed it as close to the white accent trim as I could. I was using only the middle and bottom rails, because the top rail was already in place as part of the head bulwarks. I then painted the back and edges black to try and eliminate the white paper edges. I then put the forward apex of the railing into the right location just abaft the fiddle head, and worked the bottom railing along the upper edge of the fiddlehead. Once that was in place, I then did the same for the middle rail, trying to keep it the proper distance between the upper and lowe head rails.

The rails as printed stoped at about the 4th support knee, and the bottom railing continues to the hawse pipe fairings, the middle rail continues up to the catheads. I trimmed from the hull piece the appropriate trim parts and with placed it up to the hull to fit and hopefully flow smartly into the already installed middle head rail. It took a bit of fitting to get it to fit without making a total mess of things, so I then glued it in place. I had done the same on the port side.

I then added the trim to the hawse pipe fairings (which is supposed to run smoothly from the bottom end of the fiddle head), and then did a bit of touchup with my acrylic paint. Well, the end result at least looks a lot more like the real thing than the kit with it's one dimensional head rails did. :lol:

I was on a roll, so I figured I would also tackle the bow area and try and at least finish off the bulwarks. I added the upper bulwarks at the bow, fashioned the fairing pieces on the outboard sides of each, and then added the bow line fairleads on top of it all. Well, there are supposed to be holes in the fairleads, but I couldn't get the holes in place without risk of putting the whole affair out of scale, so I left them without the holes. I even got to put in the bow knee, which is that horizontal piece inside the bow area, just below the caprail of the bulwark. I added an insert above this knee, to close up the hole, but I took the photos before that was done. I also started to fashion the bow pinrail, which will go over the bow knee, but am just working out how to put in the belaying pins, so there's a bit to go before that part gets installed.

I also started work on the inner bulwarks for the quarterdeck. What I did was use the kit part, took another copy and cut the bottom half which is below the original cap rail, and glued it on the first whole piece. I then
added a little sliver to represent the edge of the original cap rail and finally added the upper extended bulwark on top of that. I did get to clean it up a bit with the correct bulwark colored paint, but this photo shows the pieces still under construction and before painting. Hopefully the two quarterdeck bulwarks will be cut out and added tomorrow, and I will continue to figure out the bow pin rail with belaying pins. I also plan to install the lower bullseyes for the main stay, that goes just below that bow knee, and started playing around with a way to make the bullseyes. They are about 1.4mm in diameter and need a hole in the middle for the laniards...fun fun fun! :lol:

Well, folks, that's about it for tonight. Hope to get more updates as I hopefully get more done tomorrow.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Jim

Really good write up thank you for the indicators once more. It certainly has put a lot of depth into some pretty bland parts. I hope you are saving your addons for posterity.

above all it's entertaining

barry

silverw

Mar 15, 2004
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
members.shaw.ca
Hey Jim....
I really like your labeling; it helps a lot! (I haven't found my naval dictionary, anyway. :lol: )
It reminds me of the old Alice's Resaurant song...."8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows on each one explaining what each one was about."...or something like that.

Even greater stuff. Good reading. :wink:

BCNU...Bill

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Bill and Barry! I'm very glad you're enjoying the write-up and photos. Just let me know if I ramble on too much, would you? :lol:

I was able to spend a few hours again today to finish up some of the things I started yesterday, and to venture forth into new areas. :D

I finished working on the quarterdeck inner bulwarks, installing both the port and starboard sides. I used an emery board to even up the upper edge and then installed the caprail. I found it a great idea to add the strip that represents the original cap rail and to then add and paint the extra bulwark on top of that while the piece was still on the sheet. I also pre-painted the strip black and found it was a lot easier to then touch-up the green bulwarks before cutting the piece out of the sheet. I'm sure this is not such a great revelation, but in doing the quarter bulwarks this was the first time I tried it and it went very well. I also cut out the gunports on the inner bulwarks before the piece was cut from the sheet.

Just like in the bow area, the gun ports were cut through once the inner bulwark were in place and the glue had dried. I also "painted" the inner edges of the gunports with diluted white glue as I found it was easier to sand them and create a tidier gun port opening this way. I then fitted the cap rails on both sides, again pre-painting them. This ensured the under surfaces of the rail were black, which I found very difficult to do in the bow area after the cap rail was glued in place. :? I then painted the inner sills of the gunports black and painted over the outter hull areas around the gunports.

While a few of these things were drying, I worked on the crew heads, scratch building them since the kit doesn't include them. I also finished up the opening above the bow knee I installed yesterday and painted it. Finally, I experimented with a way to make the bulls eyes that will be used in rigging the main stays. It's a lot easier to do it now before any of the other deck furniture is added which would block access to this area of the bow. I ended up punching 1.5 mm discs out of chip board, and then glued two together in a sandwich. I found it was easier to wrap the 34 guage wire around the dried sandwich and just twist it tight enough to hold the piece, waiting for the final twists until later. I then soaked the discs while in the wire with CA to keep it from moving around and to harden the cardboard sandwich to make drilling the holes easier. These are VERY small pieces and my first attempts resulted in the chip board delaminating and making a mess of it. After the CA dried, I then twisted the wires again to make a tight cinch. The CA soak worked like a charm and allowed me to drill the holes without everything falling apart like during the first few attempts. After the hole was drilled I then painted the bulls eyes with diluted black paint in a few applications until it was sufficiently coated yet leaving the details of the wire stropping in the process. I then installed the bulls eyes in the wire strop below the bow knees by making a pilot hole with a fine needle and then drilled a hole through the bulwark using a 77 sized drill mini drill. The wire strop was then trimmed and the bulls eyes were glued in place. All in all I was happy with the results and will probably use a similar proceedure for the other bulls eyes and deadeyes later on.

Well, it was time to at least start the transom pieces. I had previously cut out the two pieces which make up the outter and inner transom, but I was not happy with the way they came out. I must have rushed it, because on taking a second look the port holes just didn't look right, and I wasn't happy with the fit to the now finished quarterdeck bulwarks. So, back to the drawing board! :lol:

I decided, flush with the happy results in keeping the quarterdeck bulwarks on the sheet while I worked on them, to do the same with the transom. You can see in the later photos I also decided to add a bit of relief to give the decorations some 3d effects, and hopefully make them more interesting than the flat printed sheet. I cut small bits to add some relief to the pedestals on each side of the windows, and then put a small piece to represent the cap moulding. I did the same for the lower mouldings and finally added the two rope mouldings over the windows/lights. This took a little time, but I was happy with the end result and it seems to look better than the plan printed sheet, at least to me. My wife came in while I was in the midst of doing all of this and has declared me official nuts to go through all of this and play around with such small pieces. :shock: She does love me anyway, I think. :lol:

I also decided to try a trick using thick acrylic paint to add relief to the eagle and stars, as it would, indeed, be insane to try and cut them out and add them for the relief look...actually, I did try that :shock: but I could not cut those little guys out precisely enough, so on to plan B, the paint. :lol: Using a very fine brush I added some relief to the eagle and the stars by dabbing little bits of paint onto the printed areas, and built up the surface in this fashion. I then cut out the itsy bitsy shield from another copy of the transom piece and glued it on top of the finished eagle. Okay, it's REAL hard to tell by looking at the photos, but it does have a nice 3D effect in the end, trust me. :D

Well, that's about it for this evening. I was happy to get so much done, but there is still a whole lot more to do! :shock: I was just looking over pictures of the carronades and bow chasers I took a few years ago at Charlestown and making those guns is going to be fun to tackle! They're pretty small and I want to include the tackle and breech ropes, so I have to do a bit of brainstorming on how to do them. I also decided I need to add more detail to the gun deck gun ports, to include the sills and lights, maybe try and add the hinges, but I first need to finish the transom and add the details they need and the kit doesn't provide, such as the lids and the little ports below the transom, and start to work on the quarter galleries, but I will hopefully at least get the transom done next time.... :D

Cheers! :D

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Jim

The gingerbread looks impressive well worth all your effort. Your idea of adding the bits on before cutting certainly gives you more control over the parts.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

Looks fantastic and very impressive, even more so when you think how big she is.
love the write up as well.

Look forward to more soon

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Barry and Rob! :D

I'm glad you both liked the last update and thank you for the very kind words!

Actually, looking at the transom this morning I might have to modify some of those strips I added yesterday; I think they look a bit out of scale for moulding. The pedestals between the windows are okay, but that cap moulding on top is just tooooo big! :shock: I have to play with it a bit so it's not so oversized in comparison with the pedestals...and those rope mouldings and bottom mouldings are too high off the card, I think, so I need to figure out how to reduce them.

I might try either shaving them down or maybe removing them completely and replacing the rope moulding with painted thread and the bottom moulding with flatter strips of paper. It was a good exercise, if nothing else, so all is not lost. :lol: I just hope if I need to remove them I can salvage the rest of the transom, because I like the way the stars and the eagle came out. :? Well, we'll just have to see what happens.... :wink:

Thanks again, mates!

Cheers!

Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

I can't see a thing wrong it must be all those extra visual aids doing your eyes in :lol:

Keep at it mate and more when you can

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Rob!

Actually, even with all that optical assistance some things only leap out at me when I look at the digital photos. :shock: Like forgetting to extend the copper bottom around the stem. :eek:ops:

Well, just have to keep on keepin' on, I suppose, and eventually it'll get done. :lol: Like that wise man Larry the Cable Guy says, "just git 'er done!" :lol: Oh, you're not familiar with the show Blue Collar TV? :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

silverw

Mar 15, 2004
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
members.shaw.ca
Blue Collar TV? :shock:

Is that anything like "blue movies?"

Great stuff on the posts, Jim, but please go easy. Every time I read a new post I'm thinking "how could I apply that neat stuff to my model?" And I'm just getting farther and farther behind :cry: "Butterflyitis"

Katchawlater............Bill

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Bill.

Yikes! No, Blue Collar TV has nothing to do with Blue Movies :shock: , it's just a comedy show created by Jeff Foxworthy with quite a bit of Southern humor. :D Although I am not from the South, I really enjoy it anyway. :wink:

Go easy? Go EASY?? Sure, from the guy who reinvented the way to make awesome ladders! :lol:

Well, at least you're enjoying the posts, which is the main point. :D I'm having a ball working on this ship, and I am happy my sporatic ramblings are being enjoyed too. :lol:

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Alrighty then! :D

As I said, I was not really happy with the transom after looking at it further...so I redid it. :wink: Actually, I took another print of the transom and re-did that! This time, having gained the experience with the first attempt, it was a bit easier, but just as slow going as I was using smaller parts, hopefully more to scale this time.

I decided to use a painted thin thread for the upper rope trim, and thinner paper strips for the pedestals and lower trims. I again used paint to add some depth to the eagle and stars, and added the crest. I hope when you look at the photo showing the two transoms you will agree the second time around looks a least a little better...okay, the upper one is the redone transom. :lol: You can see I already cut out the gunports and trimmed the piece from the sheet. Ready to move on! :wink:

I then added the inner bulwark piece to the transom, and trimmed the gunports of the inner bulwark using the outer piece as a guide. This seemed to line up quite well, so I coated the inner sill of the gunports with diluted glue and when it was thoroughly dried I sanded the edges lightly to remove any irregularities that might have cropped up during cutting. Then I painted the inner sills with black paint, and touched up the outer transom a bit, and painted the inner bulwarks with the darker green.

Now it was time to fit the transom to the hull. That went fairly well, the top edge just below the caprails of the sides, and giving me room to add the caprail to the transom. I fitted a piece for the stern caprail so it joined the side caprails smoothly, and included a little trim piece that runs from the transom caprail to the inner edge of the side rails. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the transom from a high enough angle to show this caprail fitting, but I promise I will include it in the next update. I also added the sliver of paper to represent the original cap rail, in the same manner as I did on the hull sides.

I did add some extras to the transom, although I dare say the photos don't show them very well. I'll have to do better in the next photo session, sorry. :eek:ops: I added lids to the stern lights (windows) as the actual ship has them. I have positioned them in the open position like in the photo I have. I also added the little lights/ports on the lids themselves, which are seen in the photos but just barely. I imagine the overhead angle shot of the stern I will take to show the stern caprail will hopefully show the ports a bit better as well. I also put in the two portholes/lights, one on each side, of the transom like in the original; the kit doesn't show them at all. I also added little specs of paper to represent the hinges, but these, being painted black like the covers, don't show up well in the photo. I added the point of my tweezers as a point of perspective.

Well, there you have it, the transom is finally in place...now on to the quarter galleries!

I decided to forego with the simple folded quarter galleries the kit provided, as I wanted to give the galleries a bit of interest rather than being simply printed. This is going to take a bit of doing, but I hope the results justify the time. For now I have photos of the original piece and show another copy in which I have cut out the printed windows. I am trying to use clear plastic which will replace the printed windows, in which I am adding very thin silk thread painted white for the window trim. I haven't finished this yet, but I've included two photos showing how I am working this out. Hopefully they are clear enough to see what I am trying to accomplish.

Well, that's it for tonight...more next time on the quarter galleries...I'll either have happily finished them or will be re-working them as well! :lol: Time will tell....

Cheers!
:D
Jim