Which turnouts to use for Scenic and Relaxed?

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Evan, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Evan

Evan Member

Hi,

I am starting to plan and get things together for the Scenic and Relaxed Railroad - trackplan by Atlas. But, I'm not too sure which turnouts to get - Atlas #4's or #6's?

Thanks
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

What radius are you using, and what sort of motive power/rolling stock are you going to run.
  3. jdscales040

jdscales040 Member

Also main line or yard. I'd stick to #6's on the main if I had the room for them. #4's are ok in the yard..
  4. screwysquirrel

screwysquirrel Member

In the book plan,It uses mostly the #4s. #6s can work but will require some adjustment
  5. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Peco Power routing #8 for mainline and #6 for yards.
    Use #4's only when you absolutly positivly have no other option or for logging or mountain rr ing.
    Wont fit??
    Get a bigger room :)
  6. jdscales040

jdscales040 Member

Ahhhh yes, we would all love a bigger room, but availabilty is not always there. Some of us are stuck with what we have. :confused:
    I have a around the walls shelf type switching railroad. I use GP38's (Atlas) and up to 65' cars. I have a lot of #4's as sometimes thats what fits. Most of the track is code 70 with a fair amount of code 55. I use what I like, throw out what I don't. Derailments? Last one was when I shoved a cut thru a closed switch 2 years ago.
    Someday when I hit the lottery I hope to put it all under wire and operate using Steeple Cab Electrics.:) :wave: :thumb:

Wont fit??
    Get a bigger room :)[/QUOTE]
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

Evan,I would stick with what ever switches the plans call for..If the plan calls for #4s switches that is exactly what I would use due to the track plan specifications.
    You see the #6s and those #8s are longer switches.As SS stated you can use #6 switches but,you will need to adjust the track plan if possible.
    Now on my switching layout I use #4s and up to 72 foot center beam lumber cars
    with no problems.
  8. railohio

railohio Active Member

Use the standard line turnouts that the plan calls for. They've been a staple of the hobby for years and as much as people want to sound important by telling you to use larger turnouts it won't make much of a difference on a layout like this anyway. No sense in adding more complication to the matter, especially if this is one of your first layouts.
  9. Evan

Evan Member

Hi,

Could someone PM me what the plan calls for? The only thing I have is a picture of the plan that I found in one of the archived messages here. I don't know what the components of it are, only that it looks cool, fits the space and has all the features I want. It's my first layout, so need to plan things properly.

Thanks