What is this engine????

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I have a HO engine , blue and orange and lettersd for the Chicago & Eastern Ill.

It is a diesle made in Yugoslavia and labed Tympo.

This is stream lined looking .The horn is centered on the hood and on the side it has an outstanding curved fender running its lenth strating at the top behind the cab windows and running to the deck level at the rear.

Makes me think of an old studebaker.

ON the top are 4 exhaust fans.

The top looks like a F# and the hood sort of like a U Boat.

Maybe I can post a pic.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
THese oix aren't very helpful but mayhaps someone can tell what this is and give me some data on it as a proto type.

It is very well made.

xxxxxxxx123.jpg

xxxxx.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
that engine is a BL2:thumb: , they were the first engines made by EMD, after the F unit body style. eastern, and small roads used them:thumb: . :D -Deano View attachment 31405

Attachments

• bl2.jpg
    bl2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 171

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
The BL1 and BL2 were basically F unit chassis with a new body to facilitate use in switching manuerers. The engineer couldn't see back of his unit because of the car body. The BL design was supposed to eliminate this enormous blind spot. While it had some initial success, it ultimately failed and the body design was replaced by the geep design that is now so familiar to us all.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Thanks you all.

I now learned this engine was part of a large lay out a fellow in MI had in 1966.

His house was robber and almost totaly cleaned out including his HO stuff. This engine was all that was left of his trains. His wife gave it to me.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Sometimes I like to copy colors of a RR and then also I like to make one up.

This may be somewhere in between.

I am matching it to a B unit for F3's