What is it?

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
I've had this thing for about a year but don't really know what it is. (At my house it's called a doorstop.):)

I believe it was used for measuring the temp in reefer cars. Could anybody shed more light on it.

t.

Attachments

• dial1.jpg
    dial1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 101
Hi t,
That's a circular chart recorder; I've never seen one before that wasn't electric. They are used to record any number of variables, pressure, temperature, flow, liquid level, etc. The paper chart is replaced daily or weekly or? depending on how fast the clock (and chart) turns.

This must have a wind-up clockwork mechanism to turn the chart and maybe a bi-metallic element to move the pen.

Does it bear a maker's name or logo??

I think it's a pretty "cool" item!!:D :D :D

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hey, thanks Cidchase.
Was it a RR specific item , or just used for charting in general? It has the name "FOXBORO" on it. The graph appears to work on a 24hr period.
There is a small hole on the back at the bottom that looks like something would be inserted.

t.

Hi t,
This company is still in business, see:
http://www.foxboro.com/m&i/controllers_recorders/recorders.htm
for a modern version. I have no idea of the time period for that piece, but they might be able to answer that.

I would guess that your recorder is not RR specific, but this type of instrument would be necessary to record temperature performance in a reefer, like you said, and it surely would not be incorrect to refer to this as a reefer recorder.

I also guess?? that the hole is a keyhole for the clock winding key, which would prolly be a square (inside) key which you could find at a clock shop.

I'd bet that this instrument could be made to work :cool: with a little effort if the clock is not totally rusted up inside. The paper charts are still available, depending on the specific size. :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
WaaaaaY CooooL!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool:

We had One at work, we used it for AC & Heating "room temps" over a 24 Hr. period.

Ours was wind up and it worked all the way up until we salvaged it about 6 Yrs ago..

Ours looked a little different.

~~ Mikey

P.S. You never know WHAT you have lying around the house - do you? :) :) :)

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Cid, I didn't even think about doing a search on the net. Thanks again. It's not rusty at all. I guess it will make a nice knic-knack in the caboose, If it ever gets finished.

N-gauger, You DEFINITELY never know what you'll find lying around this place:D Our house used to be a cattle farm house. When we first moved in I was doing some digging and kept unearthing harness parts, chains, hitches ect.

t.