What is it?

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
What does the EMD stand for? Also there was a conrail engine on the line..is it common practice for conrail to run with csx? Never seen one before...thanks for the info.

77Railer

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
It is becoming less common as the engines get painted. CSX bought Conrail. It is a shame too because the CSX paint scheme is ugly. The Conrail blue was rather nice, if not simplistic.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
A good source for loco identification is the "Contemporary Diesel Spotters Guide". You can pick a copy up at your LHS(I've just about wore the cover out on my copy). Another good source is George Elwoods site:http://www.rr-fallenflags.org, though I've found that some pics are misidentified.
EMD is Electro Motive Division. Its a division of GM.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
77railer said:
What does the EMD stand for? Also there was a conrail engine on the line..is it common practice for conrail to run with csx? Never seen one before...thanks for the info.

77Railer

EMD stands for Electromotive Division, the locomotive building division of General Motors. The other major locomotive manufacturer is General Electric.

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
Wabash Banks said:
It is becoming less common as the engines get painted. CSX bought Conrail. It is a shame too because the CSX paint scheme is ugly. The Conrail blue was rather nice, if not simplistic.

Actually Conrail was divided betwwen CSX and Norfolk Southern. I don't see as much of the CSX around my area but it is also very common still to see Conrail engines , and cars to be mixed with NS.

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Another interesting part of the nomenclature is that SD=special duty {6 axles}, and GP= general purpose {4 axles}.

L

lester perry

Yes Conrail was split between N/S & CSX. I think most of the Conrail locos that CSX aquired went south as in Florida and Huntington shops while CSX sent their locos north into Conrail territory.
Les

johnny b

Sep 13, 2005
lester perry said:
Yes Conrail was split between N/S & CSX. I think most of the Conrail locos that CSX aquired went south as in Florida and Huntington shops while CSX sent their locos north into Conrail territory.
Les

Well living in Pittsburgh I see much more NS than CSX and have yet to see csx and conrail mixed. NS seems to have gotten the majority of the lines around here maybe do to CSX allways having lines in this area. I think NS took over the big rail yard here though.