What is it worth?

sds888

Jul 31, 2005
Townville, SC
These carts came from the Charleston Station of ACL I have been told. What are they worth? I am thinking about refinishing them or selling them and putting the money towards a train room. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• cart 1.JPG
    cart 1.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 5
  • cart 2.JPG
    cart 2.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 5

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi....As with any antique, it's value is determined by several factors....demand being among the most important, and state of the item. I don't see where there may be much demand for something like this, but then you never know....If I were you, I would NOT restore them to any great extent...just a superficial "dusting", as it were. Part of the attraction of something like this, is the fact that they look REALLY old and beaten up...gives them authenticity....
Good luck, and let us know how you make out...!!!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Like Gus says, cleaning up an antique is a no-no, with some exceptions. Sometimes fully restoring something like an old toy car, or a real one, increases its value and its attraction to a buyer. I would do a lot of research before I'd do it though, but if they were fully restored, like new wood and they looked like they did when they were new, you might have a chance to sell them to a RR museum, but it might not be worth the cost. Put $100 and many hours into restoration for each one, and they might only be worth $100 each and you've done all that work for nothing. Leave them the way they are and someone might give you $50 apiece.

Don't take these numbers as fact, they are just an example and may not be even close to what they're actually worth.