What happened with P2k.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
What happened with Proto 2000? I've been looking up and down to find some PS2CD/4750 Cubic Foot Rib Sided 3-Bay Covered Hopper kit's and I can't find any. Not even at Walthers.com I remember seeing a lot of them at shows and even special built a couple of them for one of our club member's/seller's. I am thinking about using a handful of them for the Walthers ADM grain elivator. Just something I am thinking of putting into my layout design. If nothing else I really do enjoy building these car's more than any other P2k car.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Walthers bought Life-Like a couple of years ago. They still make the P2K locos under the Walthers name. As far as the rolling stock, I think it has been all incorparated into the Walthers line of rolling stock.
Maybe the "Gold Line" that Walthers is offering. But thats just a guess.
Might want to check out the Walthers website.

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
The P2K cars are still being offered as P2K cars. They're built ups, though.

Gold Line cars are Walthers designs offered as built-ups.

IAIS 604

Aug 31, 2003
Visit site
The latest Walthers flyer shows a P2K 50' single door box car time-saver kit due out this November.

Perhaps Walthers is just now getting around to making the P2K kits again after the transition, and more will be out next year?

Just a thought ....

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
They're still transitioning, if you look, most of the P2K engines are just starting to come out under the Walthers name. I wish they'd just fully merge everything, instead of Gold/Silver line & P2k/P1k... Look how well the Roundhouse/Athearn line is now, since the Horizion "merge".

They'll get the P2K stuff sooner or later, you just might have to wait a tad longer. Good thing is, once the P2K stuff is realeased, it should NOT be a limited edition, "run" type thing as it was in the past.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Well, I looked through what they have in P2k and all I found was mostly the 50's/transition era type car's to earlier. Like the 10K gal. tanks, ER. war hoppers, and as 50' single door box cars like IAIS said. The only thing modern that I ever found from P2K was these hopper's, everything else was just for the steam and transition era. These car's from P2k were really nice cars. I wounder if anyone else has them in a kit with the same detail? I might ook back through Atlas to see what they might have. They maybe RTR but I'd prefer them as a kit sense I don't have anything to work on right now sense my benchwork isn't built yet.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
eightyeightfan1 said:
Walthers bought Life-Like a couple of years ago. They still make the P2K locos under the Walthers name. As far as the rolling stock, I think it has been all incorparated into the Walthers line of rolling stock.
Maybe the "Gold Line" that Walthers is offering. But thats just a guess.
Might want to check out the Walthers website.

a couple of years already? it hasn't been that long ago!

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
PS2CD/4750 Cubic Foot Rib Sided 3-Bay Covered Hopper kit's for grain but this brought another question to me sense I also want to model a cement plant. Do they use the same type of car or something different?

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
No. You want 2 bay hoppers. Cement is heavier than grain.

Atlas makes a PS2 2-bay that is suitable for cement use. There's also some ACF style 2-bays that are on the market, I beleive they are made by Athearn now.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I was just looking at Athearn and Atlas' site. Atlas doesn't have anything as far as grain car's but I'm thinking for cement because I have 3 Walthers 100 ton Ortner hoppers. I've seen these car's used for carrying PS2? type rock that would be unloaded into a small underground room with a conveyor big enough for one man to fit into. It was unloaded and conveyed in to the storage yard. I think from there it was either crushed to powder for cement or used as the packed foundation of cement right before it was poured. The rock is a flat type of gray and had gray dust mixed with it. I seen Athearn has the PS2CD/4750 Cubic Foot Rib Sided 3-Bay Covered Hopper's in single and 5 packs. However I'd rather build them from kit's that provide more detail than those. It probably wouldn't be to bad if they had them in the Genis. series. I found some others by another producer and they are knocked out in detail for a RTR car but at $30 a pop I can do without them.

dirttrackin

Jan 21, 2006
The P2K is a 4427cf. I think Intermountain is the only one with a 4750, and if you can find the kits they are prety reasonably priced compaired to the RTR. Toy train heaven has the P2K 4427s in stock.

Tim

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
kitsune said:
No. You want 2 bay hoppers. Cement is heavier than grain.

Atlas makes a PS2 2-bay that is suitable for cement use. There's also some ACF style 2-bays that are on the market, I beleive they are made by Athearn now.

Roundhouse used to make a nice 2 bay covered hopper that works great for a cement hopper. I don't know if they are still available since Horizon bought Roundhouse.