What era do you model?

CN1

May 6, 2003
What era (year, decade, century?) do you model?

I realy like this Polling option:thumb: ;) :p :D :wave:

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Right now I model a period between 1945 to 1985 so I responded on specific year. I have my locomotives and rolling stock organized into the various eras that they belong. I also have some period vehicles that go with the era of the trains that are running. Lately, however, I seem to acquiring more 1950ish items than any other era.

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
Most of our rolling stock and buildings are 1945-1960, but we do have a few items that are just a bit later because a, they were a real bargain, or b, they were of a type or design that I have an interest in. Nothing real new, only a few, but just stretching the era a tad. When my sons and I began construction about 30 years ago, we hung a small(just as ajoke) sign over the center of the layout. It notifies all visitors that, "This railroad is 100% privately owned and is not regulated by the ICC or any other government body or outside group"! Over the years I think the sign has the unintended effect of reminding anyone with a potential comment about any minorprototypical error or slight inconsistency that it IS our railroad!
We enjoy it, visitors, especially kids, enjoy it, but it is not the Smithsonian. Dave

When I started my current layout a few years ago, the plan was to model logging in the Missouri Ozarks, circa 1910. Within the last year, however, I have changed from trying to model a specific year to simply modeling an entire era. I won't bore everyone with how and why I made the decision, but now I'm modeling Ozarks logging c. 1900-1928. (By 1928, most of the hardwood and yellow pine had been harvested and the last of the big mills in southern Missouri had shut down.)

I also decided to bend history just a bit. So, among several things, Prohibition never happened :thumb: and my little loggers can head to town on Saturday evening and imbibe a little at Eben Flood's tavern. :D

Medicine Man

Dec 17, 2003
Medicine Hat Alberta
Visit site
Eastern Kentucky(centering around Ashland) 1920 to 1925.The internet is such a wonderfull tool,that you can get an amazing amount of info on anyplace from just about any time that you like.

It's 3000 miles away,but I would like to visit there some day.

MM

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
August 12, 1970, 2:30 PM between milepost 101 and 105 on the PC's River Division. JUST KIDDING! :D I model the Penn Central years after 1968 with a vague representation of NY/PA scenary.
Ralph

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
I model the diesel era of the AD&N which is from 1948-1996. But I'm getting a couple of steamers for excursion trains/railfan runs, a 2-6-0 & a 2-8-0. I initially was going to concentrate on just 1978-1979, but decided that I couldn't be that strict.

I am mostly concentrated from 1975-1990, though.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
MM,When I lived in Ky while working on the C&O under the Chessie banner. I been to Ashland more times then I can recall.Ashland is a beautiful city that sets along the Ohio River and one that is rich in railroad history..One of my all time Kentucky railroads is the Lexington and Ashland Ry.The L&A became part of the C&O.It ran from Lexington,through Morehead,Olivehill,Grayson and on to Ashland.There is a very good book by Elmer G.Sulzer "The Ghost Railroads of Kentucky" that deals will all the old railroads of Kentucky..Students of the history of Kentucky railroads will do well by adding this book to their library.:D And yes I own a copy..My late wife was from Ky and insisted on me buying that book.:thumb:
And as they say in Kentucky- Kentucky Wild Cat fever-Catch it!:D
BTW that's the name of UK's basketball team for those that may not know.

geep15

Dec 21, 2003
Texas
Visit site
I try to model the last ten years or so of the Frisco's existence, but with the presence of an RS1 and a 44-tonner, I stray a bit back to the 1950s. The "foreign" power (UP, Santa Fe, etc) also reflects this era. No Dash-8s, Dash-9s, SD50s or AC power on my road.