Went to Baltimore over the weekend...

BreathinHeavy

Apr 15, 2007
Short Gap, WV
I went to baltimore over this past weekend and i had a blast sunday when we to the b & o rail road museum and had a blast walking around looking at all those steam engines. I also liked seeing the f-7 and the rs with the fireball paint sheme was very nice to see them... and I cant leave out the allegheny with its shere size and when I sat in it I could just feel its power.

I'll recomend that trip to anyone that wants to see some beatiful engines.... if the could get them cleaned up a little it would be even better...

w8jy

Mar 21, 2007
Au Gres, Michigan
I was there a week ago - for the fifth or sixth time. That is one of the best railroad museums around. Some of the older engines were damaged when the roof collapsed a year or so ago. They have done a lot of cleanup work, but still a long way to go. Did you notice the estimates for repair of those engines? $750,000.00 each! And we thought model trains were expensive!

BreathinHeavy

Apr 15, 2007
Short Gap, WV
yea i saw the estimates there. we rode the train out to the restoration facility and they told us there that there was a total of 15 millon dollars worth of damage and that they only had insurance for 5 millon coverage.... but they are making progress with everything

L

lester perry

If you would like to see an Allegheny in pristine condition go to Dearborn Michigan. The Henry Ford Foundation has one that has been kept indoors with climate control since retired. If my memory serves me correctly it pulled a train to Detroit. The fire was put out and it was pushed into a building built for it. The doors closed and never been opened since. It appears to me as though it could be brought back to life very easily.
Les

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i dont know how long ago it was but there was a flood which took the engines for a ride! including the allgheny which had its floor collapse and it fell on its side.it was a sad site seeing all those engines covered in grime and falling through the floor.but i saw it afterwards in person and all i can say is WOW and its definatley worth the trip!--josh

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The Allegheny at The Henry Ford had to have its cab dis-assembled to get it through the doors. When I was there a few years ago, they had the back door open and a couple of guys with a switcher walked off with Fairlaine, Ford's private car.