weird ballast

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
hello guys,

i have a question that might seem dumb...

i'm doing some experiments on how to ballast track, and i used the old fashiond glue/water solution...

now that the ballast is dry i looks like everything except ballast...
What is wrong? i'll try to have a pic soon.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Hey Luis - What did it look like? Did you prewet the ballast with "wet water" - that is, water with a little soap or alcohol added - to allow your water/glue mixture to soak in instead of just stay on top?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Luis,

Did you put this post in before you let it dry out? It can look pretty awful and like you've made a horrible mess while it's covered in the white goo of the glue. Or pehaps the grain size of the ballast you are using is too large? Perhaps used too little ballast maybe? I can't really think of anything else other than that.

Attachments

• rails.jpg
    rails.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 228

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Charlie I agree Woodie really ought to enter. While Woodie is a great modeler and photographer as we all know, we also need to see the "down under" represented! :) We have a English layout entered and a bunch in N. America but none from Woodie's part of the world :( . Course we don't have anybody from ol' Kentuck either! :D :p :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Yeah, I know...
We're renowned for bein' a lil' bit slow..,. :D

btw...sorry for "derailing" this thread! :eek: :rolleyes:

Luis,
Woodie may have perceived your problem...It's hard to believe that what looks at first like spilt milk can turn into nice dry ballast...
What are you using for ballast? Is it commercial ballast? sand? Dirt?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Gee, Thanks guys for the comments about Garahbara and piccies and stuff. Yep. I'll be putting one in, but you've already seen most of the good ones I've got. Gotta "borrow that camera" again in the next day or so. And set up a couple of pics properly, rather than just rush, point & click!

Yeah, with regard to the glue stuff, I was horrified as to what I'd done when I first did some ballasting, and especially the scenic stuff. Looked like there had been a blizzard or something, with all the white glue! The next day, however, it came up beautifully, and stuck like the proverbial to the blanket!:eek:

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
this is how the ballast is. it has a very pasty and weird looking.

two questions...

what ballast colour should i use? something clear, or dark? grey?

how are double track ballasted in USA? (looks kinda silly question doesn't it?)

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
How much glue did you use in the water?

Most use 50/50 but I've gone down to 25 glue/75water with good results.

somebody will figure it out, theres at least one person here thats probly had the same experiance.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ballast Colours

Luis:
Ballast colour varies; that's why woodland scenics makes so many.
For example, there are two railways coming out of Toronto side by side (CP and CN). One has grey ballast and the other has black (cinders). But sometimes on sidings the one changes to a black ballast. It depends on where they get it from and how long it's been in place. Sometimes it's mixed on the same track when the new ballast is different from the old.
Also, grey ballast goes much darker when it's wet.

On double track, the ballast usually is laid all the way across at the bottom of tie level but is put up to the top of the ties where they are with a slope at the end of the ties. Between the tracks there may be a little more of a ditch. On curves, the outer side of the ties is higher than the inner side; the tracks are at the same average level, so there is a larger drop on one side.
On switches, the ballast is kept almost at the bottom of the ties around the points or other moving parts. Around here, it is because of snow.
There are places where the mud comes up and covers the ballast -- there is one point at Toronto Union Station involving one of those double crossovers made of double slip switches where one of the tracks is more of a raw umber colour.
At Brampton station there is a platform on one side. The ballast comes level right to the platform edge but the ballast is made of very small pieces (down to pea size) at the edge going up to fist size in the middle where the track is.

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
thanks vic.

there only one more question that i have for you. what should i do, if the ballast is guled to rails? you know, sometime little pieces of ballast stay glued on the rails... and it gives a very jerky and smoothless train running.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Luis, If you have some glue on the tops of the rails just clean if off with a track cleaning block or some real fine emory paper.

Sounds like you may have some ballast in the inside web of the rails. That's the area between the top and base of the rail ...see attached pic.

Just take the point of a knife or a real small screwdriver and slide it along the inside web of both rails and scrape the stuck ballast off and every thing should work OK. You have to clean your track real good after ballasting.

Attachments

• rail.jpg
    rail.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 68

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
I've been ballasting some of my track using the wet water method... and guess what!!! It looks great. it's dry and it lokk pretty real. I've been almost two hours to ballast a double track curve with curves at 9" and 11". An enjoyed every second. it looks pretty real. I'll send pst some pics as soon as I can.

By the way, YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE :) :D