Weekend question 12-1,2 and 3. Your most cherished...

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
The weekeds upon us so let's talk about the things you like on your railroad or in your railroad collection.

What one piece of equipment, structure, memorabilia or other railroad item (scale or otherwise) that you have in your possession do you cherish the most? And why?

It does not have to be the most expensive, or the newest or even the nicest, just something you consider the best railroad item you own, something that you wouldn't part with for anything.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have circa 1920s or 1930s Canadian National luggage tags (metal with real leather straps) that were used by my great-grandfather. The address for his trip to India circa 1950s is still in them.

Andrew

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
It would have to be the collection of receipts for a Baldwin Locomotive. They have all been authenticated and they are all dated 1899. They are actual parts of PRR, Baldwin a,d Reading RR history.... I'm not saying I wouldn't get rid of them, But they definitely would be the "last" things i got rid of.....

When I get tired of them, I'm planning to donate them to a Museum :) :)

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Mine is the model a friend of mine built me of Central California Traction GP-7 number 70. It's a Proto 2000 model that I had, but that is one of 4 CCT GP's in particular that is very special to me as CCT ran behind my great grandparents house. Dad worked for the WP and later UP, but the CCT was always my favorite road and will always be. That's why I didn;t trust myself to paint the 70, I wanted it done by the best and Paul DeRouen *is* the best in my opinion. He went all out and the model is SWEET. I'll NEVER part with it. It sits in a display case right now with the No. 24 caboose that I built for it. I have other CCT models I made, but that one is the best and most special.

cct70-3.jpg

cct70-1.jpg

As for prototype stuff, I have 2 builders plates (large cast iron suckers!) off of 2 Flying Scotsman cars when the IRS siezed the train and it went into storage here in Stockton. Two of the cars were eventually scrapped by a shady former Stockton "railcar dealer" who could have cared less about what they were. I don;t even know how he got his grubby mits on them, but they are gone none the less. The plates I got came off of other cars in the train. I won't say who liberated them, but it wasn't *me* :D They sit on plate holders in my office with a model of LNER 4472 but being more historically minded these days, I am thinking they would be better off in the hands of the National Railway Museum in England who now owns the 4472 Flying Scotsman locomotive. Come to think of it, that is JUST the excuse I need to take the trip over there to visit and see the Scotsman in action.... :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My daughter, 10 years old and mildly autistic, wanted to buy Daddy a train for his birthday this year. Momma helped and my girl came home with the 4 wheel German beer van to the left. What better gift could a daughter bring home to her fire and brimstone fundamentalist preacher Daddy. It remains my one and only beer car. :thumb:

My son just knew I'd like this truck for my train layout. The dealer who sold it to him realized he sold the one truck he needs to complete his set and only tried half-heartedly to get it back, knowing he didn't have a chance:D Yes, it's a Hershey's Mother's Day Commemorative truck...what better thing for a 4 year old boy to get his Dad. It gets the first bay at my Pike Stuff transfer warehouse when it's finished. :thumb:

Attachments

• treats.jpg
    treats.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 84

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Sorry, I have no trains handed down to me, no memorabilia either. Probably the most cherished possession is one that I scratchbuilt. It's the Chapel of the Holy Cross in the red rocks of Sedona, Arizona. It's a tranquil place in a setting of sheer beauty. It has a special meaning to my wife and I and we never go to Sedona without spending some time there. If I were to dismantle or rebuild my layout, this is the one thing that I would keep.

The large picture is my model, the insert is the real chapel.

Attachments

• Dawn w-inset.jpg
    Dawn w-inset.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 70

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Good question.

I think I'd go with a pair of silver streak cars my dad built and weathered...along with his water tower...during his junior year of high school (1968).

What will probably become a high ranking piece as well is a German 2-10-2, and the two box cars (one is an Austrian Beer wagon) that I purchased on my honeymoon while in Innsbruck, At.

Here's something else from my honeymoon...

Attachments

• DSCF2145.JPG
    DSCF2145.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 70

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
My secondhand copy of Heartland by Greg McDonnell. It has my notes plus those of the previous owner and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's my absolute favorite railroad book and I still look at it at least once a week. I need to find a new copy someday to have Greg autograph next time I see him, something I can keep to show off. This one already gets too much of a workout to do that to it.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
My "President Polk" B&O 4-6-2 Pacific.

My late grandfather gave me this engine for his layout when I was a kid. I couldn't have been more than 10 years old, and I remember that moment like it was yesterday. He had put it in the roundhouse, and the turntable lined up so that I could pull it out myself.

I remember it being the neatest thing I'd ever seen, because the paint on it wasn't black like the others. To this day, I think this little engine is why I've always had a soft spot for steam.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
hands down, it would have to be my Big Boy!!!:thumb::D WHY?, this is my most expensive engine, and well...i just think it's SLAP AWESOME!!!:eek:;):D

:D -Deano View attachment 32707

Attachments

• big boy.JPG
    big boy.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 30