Weak Motor

CN_Pete

Feb 4, 2004
Markham Ontario
Visit site
Hello all,
I have been working on an old 44 ton unit, I got everthing working now the problem seems that the motor is overheating. When i run the unit sitting on a stand the motor gets hot and there is a little smoke, then the motor stops. After it cools down and apply power again the same thing happens.

How can i clean the motor and remove the smoke and overheating.
Is there any place where i can get an assortment of replacment motor brushes?

Peter

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
You might have got oil on the commutator of the motor. That can cause some of the problems you have.

Take a piece of tissue paper or ciggarette paper and soak some meths or white spirit on it (any organic solvent will work) and use the paperto wipe the oil off the commutator. Also clean out the slots between the segments of the commutator. You shouldn't have to change the brushes unless they are very heavily worn.

neil

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Peter,

Alcohol is a lot gentler on parts than solvent-based thinners, and is worth a first try. One thing, do you know where the smoke is coming from? If it is from the windings, I doubt that cleaning the motor is going to help. Overheating the windings causes the insulation to burn off, causing shorts that draw more current and more overheating and.... well, you can see that it doesn't take much to finally ruin the windings. I'm not trying to scare you, just that this is the way it is. You might check the voltage coming from the power pack, overvoltage is not a good thing when it comes to motor windings.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Bachmann guarantees their locomotives for life. If you don't modify it, you can send the locomotive to them with return shipping prepaid and they will repair or replace the engine for you.