Water Quenching

Experimental Designs

Papercraft Visionary
Sep 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
That's right you read the thread title right; water quenching.

Now some of you are scratching your heads and thinking "what in blue blazers is he babbling about?"

Well I made a little wild discovery this week that dipping lightly glued parts into warm water for a moment or two then immediately dry it with a heating utencil (a dryer) then let it set for a little bit then I notice the paper is a lot more rigid and isn't prone to tearing when I shape it.

Now to some you may think this is obsurd and have caused moisture damage. Well...maybe. Just remember this is something new I have discovered in the past 24 hours. I am sealing it and painting it thoroughly to slow down the moisture damage if there is any, I made sure it was bone dry after "quenching" it.

I like to say that maybe the water helps the glue absorb into the tiny pores in the paper or something but I noticed that the paper did not tear as easily as before once it was completely set and dry where it would have done it without quenching it in water.

Your thoughts or your nasty rebuke that I have gone stark raving mad. :p

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
ED, i sort of understand being a believer (person who believes in absurd and completley F@cked up ideas) that these kind of things work even though it shouldnt but that made no sense. Might need a better tutorial

Z

Zathros

Probably the glue that you are using is wicking deeper into the matrix (not that one) and then when it dries, you feel the subsequent firmness. Won't work good with printed stuff, unless it's pigment ink, and you still may have stains. It could prove useful for sub-components, i.e., structural. I tend to use Popsicle sticks. It gives me an excuse to get Popsicles...................... Hmm! Popsicle's!!

Z

Zathros

If you don't print models, you actually have a lot more techniques available to you. Years ago I would make 1930's style cars. Not exact copies, just models influences by that period. I used big spoons and would wet paper, lay them over the spoons and form them to the shape. I would let the completely dry. When it's dry, and you "pop" it off, you have this incredible compounded shape that you cut in the direction you need to get the shape you want.

Z

Zathros

I have very similiar techniques to achieve the same thing. Interesting...

People who fabricate, and do it often, end up with similar techniques. there always different ways to do things, but given the same set of variables, the fabrication techniques end up becoming similar.

That is why when I am going to make something serious, I research it first. Going through the whole thought process is when someone else already has is inefficient. I try and avoid repeating the "Columbus Syndrome" as much as I can. :)