Water Effects

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Need to complete a waterfall and stream on one of my modules. Just purchased a bottle of stuff called "Water Effects". It is put out by Woodland Scenics and according to the writting on the bottle I can apply it with a paint or tooth brush. It is a heavy bodied liquid that will hold its shape to create ponds, ripples, waterfalls or rapid water. Effects are suppose to dry clear in about 24 hours. Sounds too good to be true, anybody tried it? :confused:

Bill Pontin

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Water

Hi Bill,

I have never used it but heard a lot of good about it. From what I read from Woodland Senics its supposed to be used with realistic water to creat waterfalls,rapids and churning water in the realistic water. If it would work by itself would be interesting to know. I would try and little test project to find out. It would be great if it did. Let me know how you make out. I'm sure some of the guys will give you more information as there are some real experts in here. Have fun. Ron ;)

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
shucks - okay guys - will let you know how it works some time in the next two weeks. Sure would like to have known before hand what it will look like some time down the road. The horror stories of other products curling, shrinking or some that turned yellow with age. I'm it huh?

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Somebody has to be the first one to try something and you got our vote Bill ! :D :D :D I would suggest you do like Ron said and try it on a seperate test area. Good Luck and we are all behind you (a very safe distance behind you). Don't pay any attention to those rumors about it being able to self-ignite during the curing process. :D

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hey Bill, I have been reading up on this stuff. The water effects are for waterfalls and rapids the realistic water is for calm rivers and lakes, they are to be used together. Woodland Scenics came up with this to replace there EZ Water pellets that would melt any foam or plastic in site.:eek:

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Bill in my post in another thread you showed a way to make windows. I was in a hurry that day, so I didn't go into detail. That building is really neat and a perfect model for the S&B forum. I really like the hoist out front with the chains as well as the windows ( a technique you really ought to post in the S&B). I hope once it's finished and in place on the layout you will post a pic of it! :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Those EZ Water pellets would also melt down your sanity, & emotional stability!! :D (& let's not EVEN get into the damage they did to my marriage! :D :D :D )
Bill P.,
I'm with Tyson...I'd love to see more of your N scale work!
I remember some pics you posted a few months back, & they were exquisite!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bill,
When I had my N-scale layout, I created a waterfall using Glass fibre (Car stuff) it turned out okay. I just scraped a knife down it all before it went off. Here's the pic of it.

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 152

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bill,
I haven't had a chance to try the Woodland Scenics water, and water effects, but I did get to see the product results at the Internation hobby and model show here in Rosemont, Il. . The "water" is thin, and the recommendation fron WS is to pour only 1/8" deep. Make sure the water area is sealed, the product will find and use any leaks to get to the floor. The "water effects" product is thicker, and can be worked on or off site. It seems to hold the shape you work up.
The display Woodland Scenics had at the show was spectacular, to say the very least!
Pete

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thanks Pete, that is some of the information I was looking for. Was going to combine the new stuff with the method Shamus discribed. Checked several crafts stores tonight but could not locate any spun glass fibers. (Simular to that stuff you use on Christmas trees to fake icicles) Have a large box of misc. fiber optic cables, will cut some of that up and give that a shot. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. :rolleyes:

"Hey, if at first you don't suceed - destroy all evidence you even tried":cool:

Craft store venture not all a total waste, found a bottle of stuff that you are suppose to be able to make decals. Kit says create decals from wallpaper, newspaper, photocopies, maps and more. No too expensive, biggest drawback is the long process time. They require six to eight coats mininum and it has to dry clear between each coat. Needs a final 8 hour dry time before soaking the paper to remove the decal.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Bill if you are talking about using the glass fibers to "hang down" over the rocks or whatever then coating them with the WS stuff and you can't find any fibers I saw several articles in the Mags over the years where they used monofilament fishing line with pretty good results, 2-8 lb. test I think, and I think I just set a record for the longest sentence ever used on the Gauge! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I know it is too late now but prior to Christmas I bought two boxes of fibre glass fibres that are about 20 inches long that are sold for Christmas tree decorations . I had tried to make a waterfall a couple of years ago with similar fibres but in trying to make it look better ended up ruining the look as the falls yellowed so I ripped them out. I then did another test one I liked but haven't used the falls yet on my new layout.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bill,
The "decal making" product won't make decals you can use on rolling stock. The product is applied, as you describe, and you need the many coats because when you get to the soaking step, you are making the paper soft enough to scrub off the back, leaving the image in the product. If you haven't applied enough coats, the whole thing disintegrates as you scrub off the paper.
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
The stuff I used was glass fibre matting (White) and a bottle of
glass fibre (Liquid) and hardener (Blue) it is used to repair car bodies with. Stiinks abit while going off, but well worth the effort in making a waterfall.
Shamus