Watchout for low flying aircraft

railroad guy

Mar 30, 2008
On the great plains in the U.S.
Believe it or not but they have shipped over 2600 plus units like that since 1996. There are four different models ranging from the 737-600 to the 737-900. The -600, -700 & -800 requires a 68 foot idler but a -900 requires a 89 foot idler. The one I built is a 737-700 with a 68 foot idler.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
That is really great. I'd like to see those trains roll by one day - I fly to Boeing Field fairly often but haven't seen one yet in and around the Renton/Seattle area. On a related note, McDonnell Douglas used to ship F18 fuselages in boxcars from St Louis to the Northrup in the Los Angeles area for years. They'd load them right off the assembly floor on moveable jigs and roll them directly into the box car and off they'd go. Not nearly as impressive as seeing a "green" 737 move by though.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Herc: You won't see anything but the finished product at Boeing Field in Seattle. Final assembly of the 737 takes place at the factory in Renton, WA, about 8 miles East of Boeing Field. The railcars go into the factory grounds where they are unloaded and placed on dollys for movement into the factory. Originally, the fuselages were shipped in sections then someone got the idea of shipping them complete. Maybe it was "railroadguy"?

railroad guy

Mar 30, 2008
On the great plains in the U.S.
Originally, the fuselages were shipped in sections then someone got the idea of shipping them complete. Maybe it was "railroadguy"?[/quote]

Sure would like to take the credit for that idea but it isn't mine to claim. However, it was a fun project to be involved in. It is an awsome site you don't see very often. Being a parts supplier, we don't get to see the finished product and watch them roll down the runway like you fellows. But seeing it on the railcar is just as good if not better especially if you had a part in the making.