Walthers Mountain Lumber Sawmill

coachC

Feb 6, 2006
Alabama
I was messing around with Atlas Right track last night (what a pain) and I noticed that it would take almost a 4x8 layout just to model the Mountain Lumber company complex with all off its outbuildings with track and the unloading crane. I was hoping to use it, but I'm going to find another industry to model, preferably one that can use different types of freight. I haven't come up with anything yet. I was going to do a modern logging line (freelanced of course), but sawmills and lumber yards take up too much space.

N

nachoman

Any kind of food processing plant would have raw materials coming in (grains, packaging materials, etc) and finished products coming out. A small brewerey or cereal plant may fit what you are looking for.

Kevin

NIevo

Oct 19, 2007
Hayden, ID
You can rearrange it to take up less space. I am using it on my 30"x9' layout and it only takes up about 2/3 of the layout including the track. You can check it out here: http://forum.zealot.com/t155890/ You can shorten some things and depending on the era can leave some stuff, like the burner, out. The powerhouse and the woodchip truck loader is going in the middle toward the wall.

coachC

Feb 6, 2006
Alabama
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Food processing sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to think about that. In the mean time Nievo has given me hope. Thanks. I like your set-up.

Andrew,
I thought about that. I don't know how good I would be at modeling flats. I'm new at this stuff and if I don't go by the kit, I might mess it up. We'll see. I'm thinking about a 2' x 3 1/2' extension on the backside of the 4x8. I should have room for it.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Coach,

You could always build the kit as per the instructions, and then find a bandsaw...! ;)

Seriously, if you want to experiment with changing the kit, take the major components (walls, floors, roof, etc) and photocopy them each several times. GLue the copies to cereal box cardboard ("cerealboard") and then go to town with scissors and tape. Once you get something you are happy with, you have a mockup on which to base your cuts to the real parts, so you are not "flying blind" so to speak.

Andrew