Video Contest

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Wow, that is real good for "THEM".

They get a lot of video footage that they can use "the further use of their videos (outside the RAILFILM competition) may be possible." to make money for their company.

And what does the photographer get for their work and DVD submission?

"All videos must be submitted on DVDs only." - "the winners will receive certificates."

Sounds like a win win for them....

I did a photo/video shoot for our club last year. I edited it down to a DVD and we sold them locally to raise funds for the club. This spring I will be reshooting the club's 2 layouts and everyone's home layouts, these again will be sold at our shows.

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Hi

you are very sceptic:

Here are some points from the rules:

The jury will give the following awards for the best videos:
a.) The main award of the RAILFILM 2006 Festival.
b.) Awards according to the decision of the jury.
c.) Awards sponsored by different individuals and organisations/

As I heard the main award is a semiprofessional video camera, and there are 10 contracts for commercial use of the videos (Those awards will be refined.....). The RAILFILM will not commercialize the videos.

Each participant will receive a certificate of their participation in the Festival.

For selected participants, and subject to their agreement, the further use of their videos (outside the RAILFILM competition) may be possible.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
krokodil said:
Hi

you are very sceptic:

Here are some points from the rules:

The jury will give the following awards for the best videos:
a.) The main award of the RAILFILM 2006 Festival.
b.) Awards according to the decision of the jury.
c.) Awards sponsored by different individuals and organisations/

As I heard the main award is a semiprofessional video camera, and there are 10 contracts for commercial use of the videos (Those awards will be refined.....). The RAILFILM will not commercialize the videos.

Each participant will receive a certificate of their participation in the Festival.

For selected participants, and subject to their agreement, the further use of their videos (outside the RAILFILM competition) may be possible.
Being skeptical myself, I've got to side with Will on this one. If you "heard" the main award is going to be a semi-professional camera, and there will be ten contracts awarded, then why don't they list these awards? I see where the entrants also have to include a 10 euro entry fee. Not much, but it will add up. Getting the "Main award of the Railfilm festival" is what?

Who are these people anyway? Do they have any credibility at all? Having a slick-looking site does not always make for an honest endevor. If you click on their "home" link, you get a "this site is under construction" message. Hmmm, it makes you wonder. They have lots of rules, but really no information as to what you win if you win anything, or what they're plans and objectives are. A certificate? Hey, I made some pretty nice ones to award to all the participants of the latest kitbash contest. I could easily crank them out for ten bucks each if I could get folks to send that kind of money in for some sham contest and make a really nice profit doing it.:D :D

This is something I'd be very wary about entering.:eek:

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
The contest starts only on 1st of March, that is the reason why the WEB page is still under construction. As I heard all awards will be defined by the end of April 2006 (depends on the response and the sponsors the firts price is already fixed).
Two TV stations and publishers are in the background (will be presented next week). The whole project is based on gaining contacts (not materials) to people who are doing such videos for the future IPTV railway channels

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
krokodil said:
Already 50 000 visitors on the www.railfilm.net !!!!
I wish them the best for a sucessful festival. I still remain a bit skeptical though. The rules and awards seem a bit vague, and so far the "jury" that determines the awards is one person, the organizer. I'm not saying this is a fraud or not a worthwhile endevor for some people, I'm simply saying it isn't something I'd want to participate in.

BTW, I'm a bit curious. Are you somehow associated with this festival? I was wondering because nowhere on the web site did I find where you got a visitor count. :confused:

And good luck if you are planning on entering. :)

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I'm with Don on this.
What caught my attention was the "Euro Transfer" account.
What...Can't send a check? What if I want my disc back? What if I copywrite the disc before entering?
How come there ain't United States represented in the Country box of the registration form?
Just a couple of "Skeptic" questions.

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
i had difficulty navigating the sponsor sites, given the fact that this is a European based thing....

if someone wants to varify this, they claim to be sponsored by sony.... soo one of the admins or moderators, or anyone else on this site should just go to sony and ask if they are indeed partnered with rail-film.

if they are indeed associated with sony, all is good and this is in-deed real.... if they can't be verified by sony, the admins/mods should then go ahead with closing the thread and doing what is needed.... i do believe that sony is a repeatable enough company, that a valid connection with them will be all we need; considering not just anyone can get sponsored by companies. if they were a con-artist, most likely the association would be fake.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,I gotta go with Don on this one..I am very skeptic of a site that wants to use YOUR pictures for their use.The rewards is vague are best..I can get a certificate for entering a picture contest at a Amateur Photographers meet....And like Will said it does sound like a win-win for them.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Marxed said:
if someone wants to varify this, they claim to be sponsored by sony.... soo one of the admins or moderators, or anyone else on this site should just go to sony and ask if they are indeed partnered with rail-film.

Actually, the admins and mods of the Gauge are responsible only for the content on this site... we honestly don't have the time to verify and approve external sites. Nor do we want the responsibility -- legal or otherwise.

BUT, if you are interested in entering, and are unsure of the organizers' credentials, by all means do a little digging yourself. I personally would not submit any work of mine, be it video, photo, model, etc. to someone I've never heard of without finding out to my own satisfaction that they are bona fide.

I think with all solicitations that come from the internet the rule is: buyer beware.

Val

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
spitfire said:
Actually, the admins and mods of the Gauge are responsible only for the content on this site... we honestly don't have the time to verify and approve external sites. Nor do we want the responsibility -- legal or otherwise.

BUT, if you are interested in entering, and are unsure of the organizers' credentials, by all means do a little digging yourself. I personally would not submit any work of mine, be it video, photo, model, etc. to someone I've never heard of without finding out to my own satisfaction that they are bona fide.

I think with all solicitations that come from the internet the rule is: buyer beware.

Val

not to be too picky, but i'm not asking anyone to check all external links... this link is a solicitation, an advertisement, a promotion. this is not an average link to a non-profit personal website.

with that said, rule number one of the gauge:
1. No Advertisements are allowed anywhere on The Gauge without first
contacting The Owner

i understand the rules and how these things work... in most cases forums tend to delete fishy links such as these.... i run a forum close in size to the gauge and if i were to get a link like this, i would have sent a simple e-mail to sony to see if it is valid, or i would have considered it as an advertisement or spam, and removed it....

...and it wouldn't hurt to do something to ensure that members don't get lured into traps and scams

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Marxed said:
not to be too picky, but i'm not asking anyone to check all external links... this link is a solicitation, an advertisement, a promotion. this is not an average link to a non-profit personal website.

....and it wouldn't hurt to do something to ensure that members don't get lured into traps and scams

Just to clairify, an ad is a solicitation to sell something. They apparently are not selling anything here, but outwardly are running a contest. As Val said, it is not our job here to verify the validity of what is going on at a link. If this were indeed a scam, we would delete this thread in a heartbeat. If we thought they were selling something, we would do likewise. Since we don't know any more than what we read, and since we do not want to police the Internet, we are simply posting our own personal observations on this. This thread was started by a member, not someone that came along just to post spam, which happens frequently. These usually are deleted before we've had coffee in the morning. :D In this case we respect all members right to post railroad-related links like this. We allow posting of announcements concerning train shows and swap meets, this falls into that catagoy.

Our advice to approach this with caution is, as I said, our personal thoughts. If you have any information that this is not on the up and up, please let us know. You may want to check with Sony if this was on your site, but we will not for the reasons I've mentioned already.

thumsup

Jun 14, 2005
Anaheim, California
Hummmmm

Hi all,
Just my two cents. Years ago I entered a still photo contest. I won one of 14 $150 prizes. The down side of this was I had to give up all rights to the photo. Maybe not such a bad deal, but I sure wish I still had the photo the money is long gone.:rolleyes:
Joe

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
RAILFILM won the support of the major railway TV station in Europe, the BahnTV (www.bahnTV-online.de).
They will start today at 9:00 CET with the advertising campaign for the Railfilm competition and from May 1st they will show regularly a special program just made for RAILFILM competition.

The BahnTV is available in Europe over satellite ASTRA and in selected cable networks and on-line everywhere on the world (www.bahntv-online.de) also in full screen version.

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Dear all

I read the comments above (also because of my language limitations :curse:) I did not want to join the discussion. I know few of the guys behind this competition and I can just tell you there is very little commercial interest behind the whole thing - and as usually in the case of the first competition at all of this kind (at least I never heard about an another one), I think there will be not much profit when at all (just costs). This is a really low costs project and they are extremely happy that SONY (Broadcast division - not a commercial SONY, you see on every corner), BahnTV and some other companies find the resources and offered them some prizes to win. Everything else is financed privately.
Anybody can join the group of sponsors (also from the US) - just drop a mail to Railfilm.

Yes, the competition is started in Europe, however there is a big response also from countries outside of Europe, and the organizers are very happy, as it was one of the goal of the whole project to show and to give chances to anybody to show his film to the international community of railway and model railway fans.

I am sure when the organizers once can earn any money on those films, they will more than happy to share the profit with the filmmakers.
For those of you, who can sell his film, this is maybe not a right place to participate.

Sorry for my English.:rolleyes:

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Hi All,

I'll start with the "I'm no expert, but.." caveat. My wife and I make animated films and have produced a broadcast hour documentary that was aired on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp for non-canucks). This kind of festival / competition appears to be typical of the majority of small festivals that many artists submit to. For the most part it is the only way many independent film-makers can get thier material to a wider audience. Its always wise to do a little digging, but some of the responses to this thread seem a little alarmist. A fee for submission is the norm as most of the organisations putting these things on have little or no funding.

If anyone thinks they can sell thier films, then they should use a distributor, that doesn't preclude them from entering such competitions such as this one as long as the distributor agrees.

In my experience there is NO money in most independent film production, if you think can make some then go for it. If your not sure, go ahead and share your work with festivals / competitions such as this. Its the only way to get exposure, which is the only way to get further investment in your work.

Hope this helps, like I said, not an expert, but we have had some films accepted to festivals and its awesome when it happens.

Graham