" Vice? I have no vice!,

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
WOW now that takes skill and patience. A nice piece of work Jon.
When I saw the first photo I thought it was a full size vice.
Good to see your smiling face too.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
TY guys...

LOL - if you look close, you will see one bottle is full, so it takes one bottle per vice :D :D :D

The jaws move in and out, but there is no threaded screw; they just slide. So they may be positioned as needed, but don't actiually apply clamping force :)

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Jon if you soldered a nut inside the rectangal tubing and used like an 8/32 or 10/32 piece of threaded rod for the arm you could get it to clamp down with pressure. Pat

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hiya Matey, They sure do look great, who's the guy with the beard :D You made a really good job my friend.
Shamus

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Is That Ever COOL!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Jon, I'll bet Shamus could use a dozen or so...as could I.
Any chance you could do a step-by-step how to?

Are some of these going into the Blacksmith shop?
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb::thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by belg
Jon if you soldered a nut inside the rectangal tubing and used like an 8/32 or 10/32 piece of threaded rod for the arm you could get it to clamp down with pressure. Pat

Belg, for a very brief moment, I considered doing something similar, then my santy returned to me :D :D :D

who's the guy with the beard

That's my 4th best friend :D

Jon, I'll bet Shamus could use a dozen or so...as could I.
Any chance you could do a step-by-step how to?

Hehe these two are on their way to visit the CATS layout :D

I guess I could write something up, but there's not much to it, just use your immagination to come up with the parts and solder 'em together.

O, I thought you did ho?

Yup, HO/HOn30, cepins when modelin' for someone else, then I do any scale :D

I wish sometimes to have your patience

Not much patiance, really friend, you already ahve the soldering skills, why not get some bits of brass and give it a go?

For those who don't solder or don't like to solder, you can do as much or more in styrene. You would actually have a better selection of materials, and it's easier to cut, paint, add NBWs, etc.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
That is impressive work Jon! I've always admired your ability to work with minute parts in brass. Hmmmm, I recall a weird character in some movie commenting "The only way to treat vice..is with a vice!" Don' t recall the film. Any way..Great work!!!! :thumb:
Ralph

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
LOL - if you look close, you will see one bottle is full, so it takes one bottle per vice

So it's clear, you have another one in the works.

And I'm glad - NOW I know what kind of flux you use for your soldering wizardry!

Great, job, Jon! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ron

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Jon:

Nice vices. All five of 'em. What wattage soldering iron do you typically use? I have been thinking of making a resistance soldering iron because i just have a 25 watt pencil iron, that's fourty years old so it's probably only a ten watter by now, and i find it won't let me do much in the way of "structural" soldering. Was trying to redo the flag "pole" on a turnout and just couldn't get it hot enough quick enough.

Nice work, I think you should model a tool and die works, inside and out, with lighting,...please.

Regards,
Ted