Varney Casey Jones Information

IEATLT1

Feb 20, 2007
I have a box of trains I aquired as a small kid. early 80's. I would like to know more information on the varney casey jones HO Gauge.

This is the one I have with actual pics of the train.

I have no idea if it works or not.
This thing is very heavy for as small as it is. I believe the date on the inspected slip is 11-30-60 but not sure on the last digit

I have a bunch of other old stuff but this is the only thing that it's really been almost impossable to get a clear answer on.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Welcome to the gauge!
What information did you want on it? I don't know the prototype' all I can say for sure is that it isn't a model of the engine Casey Jones drove and died on.
The kit was released about 1960 as a "screwdriver assembly" kit. Before this, it took a small machine shop to "assemble" a locomotive -- every screw needed to have a hole drilled and tapped; the castings needed to be cleaned up and finished and details had to be soldered on.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Just for general information, that locomotive kit is still in production last I heard. Bowser bought the dies from the Varney estate after Gordon Varney passed away, and continues to offer it in their catalog.

IEATLT1

Feb 20, 2007
So looks like I have a 4-8-4 atlantic? Or please correct me if I'm wrong

Is this a common train?

By the way. I have got more help here in less than an hour than I have from my searching/other forums thanks guys

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
You have a 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler. There is no other name for that wheel arrangement that I know of, at least in North American railroading.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
The kit was released about 1960 as a "screwdriver assembly" kit. Before this, it took a small machine shop to "assemble" a locomotive -- every screw needed to have a hole drilled and tapped; the castings needed to be cleaned up and finished and details had to be soldered on.

looks like your right about that ,look at the top of the box.i noticed it as soon as i saw it since my first engine was a driling nightmare!i dont know about this one but it looks like a pretty nice engine too me.i've seen one before but never payed much attention to it.ahhh the good ol days

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
I was a kid modelling in HO when the Casey Jones came out. I wanted one in the worst way, but it didn't happen. :cry: I had to settle for a little four wheel diesel "critter" instead. :(

Funny, I can't for the life of me remember who made the critter, but the ten wheeler I couldn't afford brings back a flood of memories.

IEATLT1

Feb 20, 2007
I have alot more old stuff as I dug through the box. Maybe a walk down memory lane?

few more pics shortly

Thanks Guys

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
There was a tendancy for manufacturers to lable any 4-6-0 a "Casey Jones". I think there was one (AHM? IHC?) that actually was like Casey's.
I bought one, but my parents made me return it when there were missing parts.

DougF

Jun 10, 2004
Southeast Michigan
I had one of the Varney Casey Jones locos when they first came out. I've since sold it. I had repeated problems with the motor in it burning out. I think I went through 3 of the factory motors before I gave up on them. I filed out the inside of the boiler casting to get enough clearance to install a small Pittman motor in. It then ran good for an engine of that era.

Doug

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
DougF said:
I had one of the Varney Casey Jones locos when they first came out. I've since sold it. I had repeated problems with the motor in it burning out. I think I went through 3 of the factory motors before I gave up on them. I filed out the inside of the boiler casting to get enough clearance to install a small Pittman motor in. It then ran good for an engine of that era.

Doug

My Dad's old Varney still runs..It has a Pittman DC70 motor.:D

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
The Varney Casey Jones.....:
The only thing protytipal about this engine is that it is a steam engine, and that it is a ten wheeler. Varney made this loco and the Old Lady, a 2-8-0, using the same body, tender and pilot. Bowser still makes these engines. Parts are aviable for them.
Varney went out of busness and Life Like sold these Casey Jones for awile. Life Like even sold a Liliput 4-6-0. This was a german prototype 4-6-0. I had see them sold as the Casey Jones. Later Life Like sold a Liliput made PRR G5 which was a nice looking engine. I wonder if they called it a Casey Jones.
And yes ahm sold a Riverrossi built Casey Jones and it was protypical. Also before releasing it Aristo-Craft had a brass Casey Jones. I have all three.

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
Have to say its pretty amazing that your Varny 10 wheeler is in the original box w/paper work....that makes it a bit of a collectors item in itself.