Universal Track Connectors

Wunderbred

Dec 18, 2006
Albert Canada
I am new to model trains and i recently bought myself a Bachman Thunder Valley train set, and i am wondering do different track manufactures use a universal track connector, or do you have to build a layout using one brand of track?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You do not have to use a single brand of track. I would venture that most people at least mix turnouts and track from different manufacturers.

However, to my knowledge, "they" have not gotten together to make universal connectors - especially for the different types of "roadbed" track like Unitrack, EZTrack, and so on. Most types of flex track (even different "codes" or rail heights) can be joined with Atlas-type railjoiners. You may heve to modify them somewhat with pliers or a dremel, but they should work ok. Soldering will add strength if needed.

Andrew

Wunderbred

Dec 18, 2006
Albert Canada
Thanks, I figured that they would create somekind of an industry stndard with only minor easy to mod differences. figured I might as well ask.

Thanks again.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If your roadbed track has rail joiners on the rails you should be able to hook a piece of standard rail to it. You then need to put something under the track to hold it up. You may be able to join EZ track and Unitrack and Atlas directly if you destroy the fancy joining system. I think LifeLike has a totally incompatible system.
Nobody thought about standards before all these tracks came out, and it may be a little late to enforce one now.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
60103 said:
If your roadbed track has rail joiners on the rails you should be able to hook a piece of standard rail to it. You then need to put something under the track to hold it up. You may be able to join EZ track and Unitrack and Atlas directly if you destroy the fancy joining system. I think LifeLike has a totally incompatible system.
Nobody thought about standards before all these tracks came out, and it may be a little late to enforce one now.

I suspect it is more of a patent issue. Kato Unitrak was the first brand out. I suspect that Kato patented their method forcing other manufacturers to come up with a diferent design which they patented and so on so that each system is patented, none interchange, and nobody can solve the problem. The solution is to either buy one brand of track and stick with it, or use flex track with cork, homo bed, etc for road bed.