uhu02's Colonial Viper MKII- Build Thread

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you visit their website, they have printer recomendations also, and sell refill kits for those printers, and many others. For $200 dollars, I got enough ink to last me 3 years, Pigment Ink too! ;)

Reactions: mtrappett

mtrappett

Mar 3, 2013
Santa Clarita, California
If you visit their website, they have printer recomendations also, and sell refill kits for those printers, and many others. For $200 dollars, I got enough ink to last me 3 years, Pigment Ink too! ;)
You bring up a good point regarding printer ink quality. For this model, the Viper, I thought buying the model pre-printed from eBay would be a good way to go but, I am disappointed by the quality of the ink that they used, and the paper. I would not recommend it for anyone. Its far better to use your own materials. The Canon matte photo paper is much better and the ink should be nice and vivid colors. I also noticed with the paper and ink combination I have that its possible for the ink to bleed and run if the paper gets a little wet... very bad! I was considering starting over with my own prints.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Pigment Ink printers are the only kind I buy. They will not run with water nor fade with Sunlight. Most printers a Dye based. Pigment Ink is considered "Archival". The printers take a little more maintenance, if you print a page every couple of days you should be O.K.. Otherwise, you need to clean the heads. The Ink is applied using heat. I find it takes me around a half an hour to clean a printer head, but some people don't like to be bothered or don't know how. Pigment Ink is the way to go for modeling though.

The link www.inkproducts.com sells Pigment Ink and shows which printers take them. You can call them and talk to them, they actually pick up the phone. :)