UGEARS locomotive

Discussion in 'WOOD' started by Tonino, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tonino

Tonino Member

I've seen this kit on a web page and it was love at first sight!!! :)

loco.jpg
    I just couldn't resist... I ordered it on Amazon and had it in my mailbox in few days.

Now I'm taking a little pause in my paper affairs to deal with this wooden beauty.

OK perhaps this is not properly a model, is something more like a toy (a very complex one...), a wooden automata, a technical challenge... I don't know what is its best description... all what I can say is that I cannot wait to place my hands on it.

Opening the box you find a nice, well illustrated assembly manual (very well done), several plywood sheets, laser cut, very fine details (some of them seems to be very fragile, we'll see...), a pack of toothpicks (really they only seem to be simple toothpicks, but are slightly slimmer than regular ones I have at home, they are calibrated for the holes provided in model components) and several rubber bands (the engine!).

I've just started building it. Very pleasant experience. The pieces come out from the plywood table pretty easily, a sharp blade can help, especially for the tiniest pieces, breaking the junction points prior to extract the pieces from the table, to prevent undesired breaks or damages.

Moving parts need to be lubricated on contact surfaces with candle wax (this explain the candle you can see on the photo) to ease the operation of the many gears and mechanisms. The fitting is superb and the assembling is very easy (this far), very very enjoying... I'm afraid this will be completed very fast!

DSC08526.JPG
    DSC08528.JPG
    DSC08530.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

I've seen models like this, but never automata. This one looks great!! Looks like you're well on your way too. :)
    Tonino likes this.
  3. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

WOOOW! Don't tell me it actually moves? :)
  4. Tonino

Tonino Member

Wait and you'll see! :D
  5. zathros

Some Paraffin wax may make it run smoother, and make bearing surfaces out of the wood. :)
    Tonino likes this.
  6. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

I can't wait to see this, it does look as it will be a true locomotive :)

I'm geared up for it! (sorry :))
    Revell-Fan and Tonino like this.
  7. zathros

It would be easy to motorize. An engine with a rubber, or toothed belt driving one gear, and either take power off the tracks, or put a battery pack in the tender. :)
    Cybergrinder likes this.
  8. Tonino

Tonino Member

A little update on this building.
    I'm having really a lot of fun.
    The construction of this thing requires techniques totally different from all I have done before. It's really addictive, when I start I can't stop...

Some sub-assemblies already completed:

DSC08534.JPG
    Front wheels

DSC08535.JPG
    Cylinders.
    They have also internal components showing their real functionality.

DSC08536.JPG
    Main body (boiler)

DSC08537.JPG
    Here starts mechanical wonder. This one is the winding wheel. The upper selector is a sort of shift. It determines the direction that wheel can be turned to operate the loco in forward or backward direction. The rubber bands will be connected to central aperture.

DSC08538.JPG
    From other side you can see better the hooks that let turn the wheel in only one direction (here they are in neutral position).

DSC08539.JPG
    This is the coupling hook where tender will be connected. The lever on the right is to unlock the hook.

DSC08540.JPG
    This is the wheel where other extremity of rubber bands will be connected. The lever on the right is the lock-unlock command, a sort of brake. Unlocking the gear the loco will start running.

DSC08541.JPG
    Note the sophistication of the wooden bearing placed next to the main engine gear.

DSC08542.JPG
    And. at last, the inspection door that will be placed on cabin roof.
  9. zathros

All those parts fitting so nicely, combined with your expertise, I bet your having a lot of fun. I did not know it was rubber band powered. When I used to compete with rubber band planes, we found that rubber a very little big of Brake Fluid allows almost twice the amount of turns, as the turns good get smaller, and would not "knot up". I used to get flights that were the "Oh my God I am going to lose the plane" flights. I always put a tab to counter the "P-Factor", so when the rubber band finished, the tab would put the plane into a gentle wide spiral. These planes took a long time to build. I used "Monocote" for the skin, and when they crashed, it hit you right in the Heart.

*Rubber O rings on the wheels, especially the square profile ones, might give you more traction.

edited: as previous second paragraph was nonsensical due to fat fingers.......:)
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Tonino likes this.
  10. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator