TWIKI - "bidi, bidi, bidi!" A 3d Print

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
As a kid watching the Buck Rodgers tv show of the late 70's early 80's this loveable little robot had a unique charm.

I had the Mego action figures of Mr Rodger's and Twiki when they were first released, Buck survives, but only in pieces and Twiki has been lost to the world!

Its quite sad to morn the loss of a tiny piece of articulated plastic, but where he resides now is anyone's guess! My brother has searched through all my childhood toys, but alas nothing has been found...

Thus time for a new tweak, erm new Twiki to arise, purchased from a fellow modeller - I now have a new kid on the block in the form of a 3d resin print.

--------------------------------------------------

The long lost Mego figure, sadly a very expensive 'collectible' rather than a toy...

s-l1600.jpg

Comprising of relatively few parts, the build of this little model shouldn't take too long, I say little he's just under eight inches in height, possibly 5th/6th scale.
20240102_093436.jpg

The black parts which join certain parts are made of a slightly more flexible material, looking quite possibly of PLA as they have whisps of plastic strands to remove.

20240102_093522.jpg

Overall the the parts are brilliantly rendered, however some parts require a small amount of clean-up to remove marks left by supports.

20240102_093731.jpg

One end of the wrist point had some blob-age going on, hopefully not a part of the suit, but this was made to disappear.

20240102_093844.jpg

Although you won't see the soles, they were very slightly bumpy, so they were sanded smooth and the feet sit a lot better.

20240102_101337.jpg

The worst join on the whole kit is the seam at the back of the head and neck, plus those splines or whatever they are would not sit flush to the underside of his helmet/dome.

20240102_102600.jpg

It took a bit of fiddling with files and sanding sticks, but this was the best result for me. Unless you pick him up this area will be for the most part hidden from view.

20240102_111104.jpg

After no more than an hours work Twiki is prepped for primer - sadly the rainy British weather has put paid to any further work today.

20240102_113209.jpg

THUS FAR IT HAS BEEN RATHER FUN TO WORK ON THIS LITTLE CHAP - FILLER AND PRIMER AWAIT!

THANKS FOR WATCHING AND WILL UPDATE WHEN THE WEATHER IMPROVES

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The printing quality is astounding! I'm always amazed by the technical achievements of today. :)

Reactions: Chuffy70

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Thats a good looking twiki, even the details are looking great.
He does certainly look the part
This looks really good! I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out!
That makes two of us, I'll be using a finishing product which I've yet to try...Twiki is the test subject
The printing quality is astounding! I'm always amazed by the technical achievements of today. :)
I have a few printed products and yes the quality is amazing, but as most things come nearly all-in-one it takes all the fun out construction

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Small update on our little chum...

Still very cold here in good Old' Blighty, but I manged to get a few coats of paint onto Twiki.

Unfortunately, due to my old age I'd forgotten to check what I was spraying... I thought it was Fine Surface Primer, but not the case, it was one of my cans of Insignia White I had bought for my Millennium Falcon kits years ago.

I had bought three tins of White, and two Primers, but it would've appeared I'd used up the Primer on something else and as an old man, I just grabbed the nearest can and sprayed away!

Ah well, it needs to be used up & lets hope it does the job.

20240113_122425.jpg20240113_122528.jpg

MORE TWIKI SOON...

THANKS FOR WATCHING MY MISTAKES!

Last edited:

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Time to add some colour to our little robotic cheeky chappy.

Pulled all my silver paints out along with pigments and some Rub'NBuff

20240119_112901.jpg

Have been wanting to try this ever since I saw a certain Mr Savage use it on his models
20240119_154634.jpg

All parts received a first lick of the Buff - circled parts had paint to roughly replicate the rubbery material used on the tv shows suit.

20240119_170655.jpg

Circled areas will receive paint as per the above picture, after a second application of the Buff

20240119_170755.jpg

First application of the Rub'NBuff was a pleasantly pleasing and therapeutic affair - tools used were some medical covid swabs, cotton buds & an old paint brush.

20240119_170548.jpg

HAPPY WITH THE FIRST APPLICATION OF THIS PRODUCT WHICH IS GIVING ME THE DESIRED EFFECT

THANKS FOR WATCHING...

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
He is slowly coming together nicely!
Yeah, fairly simple affair this one, apart from drying times, it fits together within a minute
Yeah its looking great.
Cheers matey, he'll look a lot better when I remove the sticks!
Rub-n-Buff is some great stuff. I last used it on a 1/48th scale YF-12
That'll be a big model... We used to have the successor SR-71 at the RAF Mildenhall, about 40 miles away from where I live, in the very early 80's when the base used to have airshows, they put one of their birds in the air - absolutely breathtaking! Det-4 Operations I'm led to believe was the unit

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
We used to have the successor SR-71 at the RAF Mildenhall, about 40 miles away from where I live, in the very early 80's when the base used to have airshows, they put one of their birds in the air - absolutely breathtaking! Det-4 Operations I'm led to believe was the unit
I was a USAF enlisted brat, and grew up on Strategic Air Command (SAC) bases. Saw many SR-71's in the air. a beautiful, majestic, and powerful bird. One show was at Randolph AFB in Texas, a SR was scheduled to do a low slow flyby, but was running low on time, and had to do a max performance climb out... 250 ft AGL show center, lit the burners and went 45 degrees up, broke Mach 1 at 11,000 ft AGL and shook the whole base.