Turnout Question

Dakota train

Mar 30, 2006
Wilton, North Dakota
I am building a new HO layout based off of a Atlas layout. The layout says to use #4 custom line turnouts. At the Atlas web site it says that a snap switch and #4 custom line turnouts are not interchangeable in Atlas layout plans. Why is this? Are they different lengths or have different turnout angles. I thougth about using Peco turnouts and would they be compatable. Any thoughts!:rolleyes:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You've got it right. The geometry of each is different, so they are not interchangable. You can however use either one (or the Pecos) with some slight modifications to the plan. You can also use flex track in place of sectional (many of the Atlas plans show sectional track - this is what I am assuming here). Flex track will make it easier to adapt the plan, rather than cutting & trimming sectional.

Good luck! and welcome to The Gauge. :)

Andrew

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Peco turnouts would have different dimensions from either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Atlas Custom-Line #4s, as well as the larger #6s, have straight frogs. Atlas snap-switches have curved frogs; the curved route is equivalent to a 30-degree 18" radius curve plus a 1.5" straight section. Peco turnouts come in several sizes, all curved-frog and none matching any Atlas turnout.