trestle bridge barrels ?

fran1942

Apr 16, 2005
Hello, I am wanting to decorate my trestle bridge, and I noticed some other people have built on small platforms that extend from the edges of their trestles. Some hold barrels (see pic attached).
What exactly are they for ? (fire emergency water?)
How commonly were these small platforms found on trestle bridges ?
Would they fit with US west coast 1910 OK ?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• barrel.jpg
    barrel.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 210
They were required on every wooden bridge over 50 feet long with an additional barrel every 150 feet, i.e. a 200 foot bridge would have 2 barrels.

Mine are based on The D&RGW :) So "water" barrels work... out west in the US :) :) :)

005.jpg

Big question, who filled them? did the MOW crews carry extra water with them and top the barrels off, or did they rely on the weather?

I am just going by what I saw on a trestle outside of Bellingham, Wa. I was about 10 or 12 years old and two cousins and I walked across this trestle and looked into 2 barrels and they were full of sand:rolleyes:

Clerk said:
I am just going by what I saw on a trestle outside of Bellingham, Wa. I was about 10 or 12 years old and two cousins and I walked across this trestle and looked into 2 barrels and they were full of sand:rolleyes:
Hey, I got an idea, just put a lid on the barrel and it can be full of whatever you want it to be...:D :D