Trak PLan for TrainSteve

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Well, here it is at last. The plans.

The main line just below "C" runs around through the Big town. The town is built on a slight grade sloping away from the window. (that natural light should look food coming in on the town) The main line has 3 ways it can go when it gets to the 3 way turnout at "B".

The track to the left takes the train around the reverse loop to change the direction of the train. This is where the fuel depot would be giving this track an alternate purpose. I always like to incorporate a reverse loop because I like the option of the train running in ether direction without to much of a fuss.

The track to the right takes the train to the Shore line run.

The center track is the main line and goes up to the mountains and the High town.

The Main line winds up through the mountains until it gets to the cut by "G". There it crosses a big bridge ether a trestle or a concrete arch bridge. (right in front of the window)

From there the track climes a little more to reach High town. This is where the coal mine keeps this smaller town alive. Sort of a rustic place. Built on a plateau at the top of one of the mountains. A few sidings there to service the mine and local biz, and a train station on the main line. This is a possible place for a HOn30 mine train, servicing the mine. The mine train would be built 4" above the Main line so it could cross over the Main with ease on some form of an elevated track system, and dump its loads into the waiting cars on the siding in the town.

Then the track winds down the mountain and crosses over the Shore line at "E",an unusual rock formation, then back on the hillside as it descends. The rocky bluff runs out just above "D" and the track descends the rest of the way to the yard on a man made track elevating device of some sort. Could be a trestle. Could be a steel structure. Could just be retaining walls filled with earth.

Now you have a choice. Take the turnout by "C" and go down to the hidden staging yard, or take the line just below "B" and make a trip around the Shore line, or you can back into the yard and change your consist.

Attachments

• 2 Staging yard track plan.jpg
    2 Staging yard track plan.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 541

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
This is the Staging Yard track plan. Took some thinkin' to work this one out. The train takes the turnout by "C" in the first plan and descends at a 3 percent grade, goes around the corner and down to the end. Here it takes an 18" radious turnaround and then enters the lower staging yard. 8 tracks to choose from. Park one train and pick up another. Exit the staging yard, go around the turnaround loop, then it's up the 3 percent grade to the table top again. The track emurges from a tunnel portal in the bluff just above "D" in the first plan. I like this idea as, if you had a visitor who was standing at the doorway, then the new train would emurge and cross just in front of him. Then down the line a bit to the turnout that takes it onto the Main line.

I included elevations in this plan, so here are the elevations of the first plan.

Attachments

• 3 elevations of main tracks.jpg
    3 elevations of main tracks.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 534

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
This is the reverse loop. You could do a couple of things with this mountain. It could be rough terrain with the track running through a cut in the hillside, or you could add another tunnel, making the mountain bigger, and have the HOn30 mine train come over to this peak and pick up a load from No.2 shaft. ( it would have to cross it's own bridge at the Cut, but it could climb all the way making this mountains mine track quite a bit higher than at High town.

You will notice that the track in the back of the loop drops below the table top. I sunk it here to give an extra 1/4" of clearance for when it crosses under the Main line. See exposed view below

Attachments

• 8 reverse loop.jpg
    8 reverse loop.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 501

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
This is the port town perched right on the shore between the sea and the mountains. Here is a dock for some fishing boats as well as a cannery. The river that flows into the sea plunges over a waterfall just above the town, There is an old mill taking advantage of the free power from the falling water. There are a few biz on the waterfront. One of the docks handles fright transfer. Very few vehicles in this port town, as there is no road into town except the RR. Only vehicles in town are a taxi, and fright trucks, loaders and machines. The roads are awful, but the scenery is beautiful. All sorts of houses perch here and there up the steep slope where ever they could be put. A very small main street holds the place together. Very small train station here, part of one of the loading platforms.

Attachments

• A port view.jpg
    A port view.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 499

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
This is where the coal mine's main workings are. There is a small town to support the mine. Like I said before. A rustic place, perched on the rocky outcrops and cliffs, and what land is relatively flat there abouts.

Attachments

• C Drawing mining town.jpg
    C Drawing mining town.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 486

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
This is where the tracks cross each other. The Shore line comes out of the tunnel and crosses under the Main line. The Main line is skirting the cliffs here and any manner of bridge can be used.

Attachments

• D track crossover.jpg
    D track crossover.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 481

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
This is where the track from the staging yard joins the main layout. The rocky cliff just sort of ends, and drops away. Engineers have built a structure to support the train as it makes it's final descent to the yard. This also gives the outside track the clearance it needs to negotiate the curve without getting to close to the wall (or whatever)

Attachments

• E tunnel portal by 45%.jpg
    E tunnel portal by 45%.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 483

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
This is a detail as if you were in the closet looking across the town. Here you can see the different elevations of the tracks and also why the town needs to be built on a slope. To give the descending track for the staging yard clearance. This track would be at the bottom of a trench next to a back ally in the town.

Attachments

• G side view of town from closet.jpg
    G side view of town from closet.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 244

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
This other view, as if you ducked your head, You can see the descending tracks more clearly as well as the other ascending track in the back ground where they cross.

Attachments

• H town end lower elevation detail.jpg
    H town end lower elevation detail.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 168

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
So there you go. What do you think? Any coments will be welcome.

Now I can think about sometihing else. :D

TrainClown :wave:

P.S. One more pic. Just for fun. Looking down from the far end.

Attachments

• I view from north end.jpg
    I view from north end.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 172

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Wow! TC you are ambitious and talented. I get the impression you like track planning. :) I love the 3-D views! Neat software! The plan sure provides a lot of possibilities and all of that nice storage is attractive.
Ralph

F

Fred_M

TC, you may lay track funny, but you design great. That last picture is, well, great! Fred