Trains in the Backyard

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hi guys! :)

It has occurred to me that I'm not the only one with trains running by my home. So I invite anyone to add to this thread. Take a picture of a train going by your home and join the fun!

I have 2 tracks going by behind me, one is the main CN line and the other is a spur that runs into the city. The pics I have to share are of the tracks closest to me (the spur line).

I'm really a steam engine man but I'm finding as I see the diesels go by that I'm beginning to like them, too. This first pic is of an engine I see quite a bit out here shunting stock back and forth.

Attachments

• engine 1436.jpg
    engine 1436.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 205

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Well, I can only see the tracks from my house in the winter, and that time of year they don't always go by in daylight. Y'all are going to have to settle for a shot from across town. :D

FM-10, 35-105/3.5-4.5 AF, Fuji Sensia 100

Attachments

• maw16napoleonohsmall.jpg
    maw16napoleonohsmall.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 190

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Can't see any from my home (although I can hear them), but the CN east-west mainline travels right behind our northside plant in Edmonton. It's a VERY rare day when I don't see at least half a dozen trains just between going outside for breaks, and arriving and departing.

This is one of the local switchers, a GP38-2 (which seems strange to me, because I have a lot of GP38-2's on my 1980 Rock Island layout that power their priority trains). I posted this the other day in Prototype:Canada (but it seemed worthy of a rerun for this post).

Attachments

• cn7532.jpg
    cn7532.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 170

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Way back in 1955, we lived in a railroad place called Perez. It is half way between Klamath Fall, Or and Alturas, Ca. We lived in a house right next to the track. The water tower in the background supplied water for the big Cab Forward waiting to help a train over the hill. It also supplied water for all the houseing in the area. That was the best water I ever tasted. My three kids had just watched a freight go by and I caught them at the fence. All the engineers and conductors knew them and all waved to each other as the trains went by.

We were 25 miles from a small town called Tulelake, Ca. It got its name from the lake that was there. Water is still there but underground and every time a train went by the ground rolled like the rollers on the ocean. It took a while but we finally got to where we could sleep when the trains went by.

The building in the upper left is where the section gang kept their little put put.

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 155

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Nice yesteryear photos, Clerk. :cool:

Living in that scenary, I supose that for a child it can be almost unavoidable to become a railfan! (I would have loved it) You're fortunate too, TrainClown. Nice views (I hope that they won't run too early in sundays) :D