Training the Next Generation

F

Fred_M

I assembled a small oval layout for my 2 grandkids and turned them loose with the wet glue, sand, and a full bag of blended turf. Through the summer they both stay with me all day at my store and they love trains. This layout will be all theirs to build and decorate as they see fit. They have a Thomas and some cars and I also made them an adapter car so Thomas can do transfer work for grandpa. The layout is 4X6 and was built from sectional track. She is 7 and he is 4. They have been helping me and learning on my layout. They are good at grass scenicing. I will be buying them plaster houses at crafts stores for structures. These are our future craftmen. Fred

nexgen.jpg

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
I am part of the next generation and at least in my area nobody cares. In fact they would rather see MRR'ing die. I think the MRRing folks are frendlier than say the gaming folks by far because I don't remember getting any advice on video games. They didn't care about the frustrations I had so I had to cheat(which is perfectly fine on video games). ;)

F

Fred_M

Not happy with the way Thomas runs the kids load him up on diesel and haul him and his friends to the junkyard. Really, that's what they are doing I swear. That's why she's smiling so big, she thinks its funny, she has my sence of humor. Fred

kids.jpg

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Very cool! They sure look like they are enjoying it, too! They got your enthusiasm for scratch-building, too? :)

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. Fred, first of all, kids are cute.

I am an older guy myself, but cannot believe the lack of interest in most any of today's hobbies, and what was done years ago.

I guess some of that comes from the fact that kids today (some) don't read or care in the least about history.

I have decals on my car about the antiques I ride, and people could care. And like trains, they were everywhere when I was a kid.

I was poor when a kid (not well off yet but waiting for my fortune-ha ha) and so in order to have a nice layout, I had to first find some plywood. Guys down the road gave me two 4x8 sheets of plywood from concrete forms, but had to spend two days chiseling concrete off. Did that, and built a nice big table for my Lionel setup.

Only train I had was a $25.00 whistler/smoker my mon and dad gave me for Christmas when I was 9. Wasn't much there, but the rich kid down the road would give me a box of broken train stuff every week for my allowance of $1.00 per week. I ended up with lots of Lionel cars to repair, and broken Marx switches, lots of track, beacons, etc.

Switch links were broken, so I took the magnets out, and mounted them on the bottom of the table and ran hanger wires through a slot I cut in the table and up to the manual switch button on top that slid back and forth. Worked perfect. Painstakingly repaired all the cars, gates, beacons, track. I ended up with a mammoth setup after two years.

Then, what I thought was a real prize (at least I did) came along. A friend at school sold me a pair of diesels for $10.00. These were not what my neighbors considered cool, because they were Marx, but when I got through with them, I was the envy. I carefully cut out the fake hook openings in the front of both diesels, and then I put on Lionel trucks on both. They lined up perfect and looked sharp.

Built a lot of mountains, but this one time was the clincher. I built a tunnel, like you did in those days with screen, plaster, sawdust, and whatever else you had laying around. Built this tunnel three and one half feet long. Problem was, I didn't know that some of those (plaster stalagtite-bad spelling I know) cavern type things hung from the plaster. So, I go charging in there with my steamer, and bam. It jammed in the middle of the tunnel. Couldn't get it out, so had to tear the entire tunnel off the table. Ugh.

Just a couple of my fun Lionel experiences. I also like HO, and have some in boxes, but everytime I mention putting it in an emply room, someone shows up who needs to stay here. Ha ha. Wife says, no trains in there.

All have a nice weekend. Jack.

F

Fred_M

I find lots of kids like trains and modelling around here, but we are a little backwards down here. LOL We have lots of RCers and Rocketeers too. Maybe they just need some examples and role models. Yet another reason to support the LHS and it's influence on youngsters. Does www.wesell trainscheaper.com do anything to promote the hobby? Invite your neighbor kids to see your layout, even if its a work in progress. They will tell their friends, and you'll either help grow the hobby or get robbed. :D It use to be one of the major mandates of the NMRA was to have the members promote the hobby, still is as far as I know. Around here the garden railroaders have a "train ring" open house day and they are growing in members by leaps and bounds. They have almost caught me a few time, if I had more free $ I would probally join them. We all need to work harder to grow our hobby with the young kids even if it means we get fingerprints on our prized brass superdetailed locomotive. We don't want to be the grumpy old train man in the local kids eyes. Now if you will excuse me, I'll step down off this here soap box and show some more people my layout. Fred