Train trouble

jamie0071

Jul 4, 2006
I am pretty new at all of this. I have a Roco Digital power pack and the train I have has slowed down alot. Put jumper cables in every few feet to help with electric but this did not help. Wheels on the train look a little dirty but not bad enough I think to cause this much of a problem. Train seems to be struggling to get power. Still getting power interuptions throughout the track. This is why I put the jumpers in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:wave:

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Several things to check..

- Try holding the 12V DC wire ends from the power pack directly against the wheels of the locomotive and see if it can spin its wheels at full power. If it can, the problem isn't the power pack or the engine.

- Are you using brass track? If you are, that's the problem. Get Nickel Silver.

- What kind of locomotive are you using? If it's one of the el-cheapo single-truck pancake-motor-drive engines, that's probably part of the problem too.

Hope this helps with your troubleshooting.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Jamie:wave:

More than likely, it's the wheels---and probably the rails as well. Use a Bright Boy trackcleaner or a pen eraser block to clean the track. Use rubbing alcohol on the wheels. I use a spray bottle, spritz a paper towel with alcohol, then run the dirt off of the wheels by throttling it up and running each set over the towel 'til clean. Bear in mind that there are almost as many ways to clean as the are Gaugers, glean what fits you from all comers:thumb:

trainnut65

Feb 17, 2006
I would also have to say it is dirt build up on the wheels and track I have had this trouble before i went to nickel silver track. I have seen some of my loco run fine and others that would not run in some places on the track. So clean them up real good and try it again.

jamie0071

Jul 4, 2006
Train trouble continued

Thanks to all for all of your suggestions. I cleaned the track REALLY good. I got a wheel scrubber from hobby town USA and I checked all of my connections. The train runs consistantly but it runs slow. It does not have to be blazing fast; but it used to run faster than it does now. It may be a cheap engine that came with the track or possibly the transformer. I am looking into getting a steam locomotive engine in the near future. I only have one engine right now. I will keep you posted.
Thanx-jamie0071hamr

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Try cleaning the the engine..Clean and oil the gears,clean the armature where the motor brushes makes contact and drive shafts..All of these areas will cause poor performance if dirty.

L

lester perry

Who is the manufacturer of the engine? This will help use a lot on helping diagnose your problem.
Les