train crew

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
I am thinking about joining U.P.'s train crew. :cool:
I just read all about it and I do qualify.

Has any of you worked on a train crew or have friends that do?

Roch

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Roch I dont or ever did work on the railroad but if I was younger i would if I could. The pay sounds great but your schedule is kind of crazy. there are a few in the forum that have worked on railroads here.

e-paw

Mar 16, 2007
saylorsburg pa
I had passed the test for CXS and was hired but, I turned down the position. What they offered was the combined position of brakeman + conductor at the brakeman's pay scale.( Twice the work 1\2 the pay )
The estimated time they gave before you had a chance to move up to another position was 4 years. It would have bin too much of a pay cut from my job at Bell telephone so I said no thanks.
Be careful , really look at what there total package is before you say yes or no.

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I used to work for CSX. I started as a ralroad cop, moved into train service as a conductor trainee making brakeman pay. Once my training was completed (in 6 months) I received full conductor pay, shortly after that I became an engineed trainee and was paid accordingly. I trained for 3 additional months and became an engineer.
The schedule is screwy, the environment is brutal, and the neighborhoods are typically rough. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a second.

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Thanksfor the link brakie. And thanks for the advice from all. I will not jump off a bridge till I know how deep the water is.

Roch

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
I spent a few years on CSX's Baltimore Division as a trainman, then went to engine school but left the job early in my engineer career. The job is a great amount of fun, I truly miss working with the equipment, seeing different places, and especially the people I worked with. The reason I left is because the schedule is not conducive to family living. Not to mention one's sanity. The paycheck was sweet though.

Dave