Track road bed

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Xaniel, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Hello,

What should I use to make road bed? I know that woodland scenics has road bed... but should I use this or make some road bed with some cork?

I use Peco code 80(i'm a beginner, code 55 would be to hard for me) in N scale.

And what about ballasting? Should I use the PVA/water solution or do you have some other ideas?

Thank you for your time!
  2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Luis,
    For the road bed I personally use 1/2" chipboard with 1/2" insulation board(Sound noard) on top. This stuff is easy to apply track pins into.
    As for ballasting, check out the academy/archives, there is an article on track ballasting which I wrote.

Shamus
    [​IMG]
  3. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

I was going ask you that if your way work with n-scale track too and will be going that way my self :D
  4. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

I use the Woodlands Scenics foam cork bed myself. I personally find the cork roadbed too tall, and I also find the foam easier to work with. I've heard arguments both ways about noise conductivity, so my layout is foam.

I was thinking about using something different for the yard, but they also sell sheets the same thickness in large size (can't remember the exact dimensions, but it's 11 x 17 type proportions). So just to keep everything the same height with as little fiddling as possible, I'm gonna use that for the yard as well.
  5. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

About balasting, I tryed something for a small diorama and it seems to work great.
    I mix 1/3 wallpaper glue in powder form with 2/3 of balast.
    Spread the dry mixture on the rails.
    And spray with a plant spray filled with water and a few drops of diswasher soap.
    After a day or two your balast is hard as a rock.

Paul
  6. Chessie

Chessie Member

Hi Luis
    For my yard I purchased sheet cork from a building supply, it comes in 4' width and as long as you want and it is cheep enough.
    Mike
  7. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Luis I model a shortline and lay the track right on the foam. I ballast with a 50/50 mix of dirt and Woodland Scenics fine ballast held in place with a white glue/ water mix. For spurs and yard tracks I ballast with dirt only. For the mainline interchange with the connecting railroads I use AMI Instant Roadbed and ballast with the fine ballast only (no dirt).