Track Plans

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
I printed the full size trackplan on several sheets wich I later trimmed and pasted on the layout. Afterwards I laid the roadbed on top of that and so on.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I bought a set of Atlas track templates, made a bunch of copies, cut them out and laid out my track plan full size on the benchwork. I then lightly misted over the layout with spray paint to transfer the pattern.
Doc

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I have a set of the old Arbour models track templates. Prior to any benchwork assembly I laid kraft paper on the floor and used the templates to lay my proposed track plan on the floor. Everything fit as expected. I traced the outlines of the templates, cut the kraft paper, then taped the paper first to plywood in such a way as to get best usage, later to homasote, making sure I overlapped the joints. Then I built the benchwork to support the roadbed. worked great!

Gary

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I sketched out the trackwork on my plywood tabletop in pencil. Useing a straight edge, and the switches that I had already collected to determine the centerline of the track. For curves I fashioned a 'tammel' . It's a long stick with a point in one end and the other end is drilled at certain distances to determine tack curve radiuses.
acy.jpg

Its partialy in view at the bottom-right hand side of the picture

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Same here. I found center line of the turn-outs by using some turn-outs. THe rest was drawn using a straightedge and a yardstick with a hole drilled at the 1" mark for a marker, and at the 19" mark for a nail.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Personally, I'm still in the planning/layout phases, but here's what I've read on the subject:

It helps to have a scale drawing with gridline reference. For a 4x8 layout, I'd suggest 6" gridlines. Reference your drawing when laying track and make sure everything fits. It also helps if you have cork roadbed so you know exactly how everything fits. Once everything is in place, use a light dusting of spraypaint over the finished layout. This covers the glossy finish on the railroad ties and makes them more realistic, and the paint on the tracks is easily cleaned off with an eraser type track abrasive.

When pulling up the track, be sure to label the track, corkboard, and plywood so you'll know what goes where.