Track planning

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I had started this 5X12 before i read the post where you wanted a U shape layout, but i think this is pretty good. I didn't add any industries or anything, because thats up to you. if you want i'll build you an industrial park if you have specific things you'd like ( oil industry, random other factories, grain elevators, whatever)

Minimum mainline radius is 25" curves. i used 22" curves for the yard's arrival and departure tracks. i used 27" curves on the outside. all switches are #4s, excpet for switches on the mainline, which are #6. I used alot of small fitting pieces to build this, but you could cut some flex track for the right length.

there are 3 tracks for walther's new Diesel house, and 2 tracks for a serviceing track or something on the left hand side of the yard.

Just about anything can run on this layout. You should be able to reach across from either side. depending how you decide to make your switchin industrial area if you want one, you could make a duck under and fit in between the oval.

I might make a U shaped layout later, but family is comeing

largelayoutgif5ig.gif

Tim K

Dec 30, 2005
Stoney Creek On. Canada
Thanks GEC that looks very good and rather close to my original idea.

We have now finish the construction of the base for the layout and after having nightmares about the track radius being to small and my children starring at their failed father I decided to add on to both ends.

So what I have to work with is 12X4 with a 4X2 section on the right side
and a 4X1 section on the left. A small U-shape.

So the right side extended to six feet over four feet wide and the left side has an extra foot added to it over four feet. I can walk all around the base with no problem

So now the fun begins .

Tim k