track plan layout help

trainbyer

May 1, 2003
lincoln, nebraska
Visit site
Mr. Train Clown

Your advice is solid. I appreciate you looking out for my back, head, etc.

On the plan you designed, you mentioned there is more detail on the printed copy. Would you be kind enough to mail?

Secondly, you mention that the benchwork is not 4x8 sheets of plywood...you kind of lost me on what it is then

trainbyer

May 1, 2003
lincoln, nebraska
Visit site
Train Clown

I have given the layout a little more study and thought. Hope you are not tired of me by now. Wanted to mention the following two items to you:

1. Atlas O only makes 36" turns, not 31"

2. In the siding/spur area the size of cars will only lend itself to 2-3 cars per siding. In addition, the switching will get kind of expensive. Any other thoughts in this area.

If it is not asking too much, how can the plan be modified to satisfy these two issues?

Thanks more than you know.

Mark

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Re Re and Re

Hi Mark,

Well I think I got it right this time. Smallest curve is now 36" and the yard has longer spurs/less turn outs. Otherwise everything else is the same. You don't have to put in all the spurs right away. You can add them later on as needed.

Attachments

• layout new-8.jpg
    layout new-8.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 314

trainbyer

May 1, 2003
lincoln, nebraska
Visit site
Train Clown

You are awesome! It is like I have my own private layout designer. When can you start building it? hehehe

Seriously, could you send the plans in the mail that have the additional detail?

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Now that we have agreed on a general plan, I will work out the details. I'm having fun. It's like building my own layout bigger than I have room for. My own layout space is only 7.5'x4'. :)

I will send the plans as soon as they are compleat.

I'm not sure how detailed you want me to get.I'm going to supply the basic building plan for the base, and track elevations, scenery construction, basic wiring, and the removable portions.

But do you want to add your own roads and buildings? I figure this will be a fun part of the construction and a personal one. Once you have the basics built, the rest will fall into place. This also would give you time to think about exactly what buildings and industrys you want and have room for. What do you think? I can plan out the roads and stuff if you feel intimidated by that.
It's up to you.

You will also have to decide how high off the floor the layout will be. Basically, do you want to stand to run trains, or sit down. Higher off the floor makes it easyer to get under the table for wiring and such. Tall layouts are harder for kids to see. You don't have to decide this point until construction day.

trainbyer

May 1, 2003
lincoln, nebraska
Visit site
Train Clown

I wouldn't mind if you plopped some roads in the layout design. Could always vary--but would be curious to see your thoughts.

Will most likely sit to run trains. I have a 7 and 3 year old and want to make it easy for them.

If possible, would like to see your plans for building benchwork. Am not sure if the software you are utilizing is capable of this.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
This past weekend the modular club I belong to was set up at the Fullerton Railroad Days celebration. I saw a Lionel set up by another club where they used a bunch of the folding tables like churches, banquet halls, and social clubs use for dinners. They had the layout set up on those. The layout was low for my tastes, but would be fine for sitting to operate, and height was perfect for little kids.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
further to Russ's comments: we used to have a modular layout with no legs that we set up on folding tables. (interesting how identical tables vary in height). A colleague from work took his kids to see it and commented that ours was the only one set at a height they could see. You do need a chair for operating.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Update

Plans are coming along fine. About 60% of the layout is on a plywood base, the other 40% is open for tack supports, this will be covered with scenery. I need to know what kind of power tools you have so I can take that into consideration. Bench work design is all there and I am working on the track support system. I am also designing the backdrop structure as well with rounded corners (if you want to use that). I will provide sketches of how the various parts will be assembled and how they could potentially look. Have patience my friend. ;)

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
update

Hi:)

Computer work is done and I just have to wright up some notes on how to put it together, and make a few sketches. Good to hear your almost ready for the plans. I will be sending them by Tuseday at the latest. You should have them by next weekend.

Sorry it's taking so long, but personal stuff has got in the way.

Soon!

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Sorry for the delay.

My wife has had the flu this last week and that sort of put me in torment. :( All the sketches and printing is done. I just have to finnish the instruction sheets. I'll get that done today with any luck. I hate to report this delay, but that's life. Lots of other plans I've had have been tossed too, so your not alone. I'll update you when the packet is in the post. :confused:

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
HOORAY! HOORAY!

As of Thursday, May 29, at 4:15 PM.

THE PLANS ARE IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At last!!!!!! At long last!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Let the snails do there thing and work overtime to deliver the post.

And the clown collapses in a heap.

Let me know when it gets there, ok Mark? :)

trainbyer

May 1, 2003
lincoln, nebraska
Visit site
Train Clown

As of Monday, 6/9, the plans have not arrived. I eagerly look in the mail each day and not here yet. Will let you know when they show up.

Need to look at a map and see where you are in Canada.