Track Gradients

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Where does everyone get the foam blocks for their track gradients? Do you make 'em yourself or can they be bought somewhere? Do they come on O Gauge?

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Cannonball said:
Where does everyone get the foam blocks for their track gradients? Do you make 'em yourself or can they be bought somewhere? Do they come on O Gauge?

Hahah i asked the same exact question today. It's amazing how they make it all look so good isn't it?!

This thread: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=23400

Amrap1 said he uses Woodland Precut risers.

I think i'm going to try and make a small foam cutter and make my own risers. :)

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
YmeBP said:
I think i'm going to try and make a small foam cutter and make my own risers. :)

Let us know how they turn out. I tried and actually did a fair job for the portion of the incline that was over 1/2" thick. The problem is trying to cut foam thinner than that. I was making 4% grades which equates to going from nothing to 1/2" over 12" in length. For a 1% grade it means going from nothing to 1/8" over the same 12" length. I finally gave up and bought WS inclines but used regular 2" foam for the flat riser sections.
Doc.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I did it the hard way and carved my grades into the terrain after I built up the mountains. I wanted the grade to follow the contours as they would in real life.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
65GASSER said:
Not to butt in and steal the thread but how much of a grade can you go at once?

http://www.nmra.org/beginner/track.html

that site says 2 to 3% per 100"

Grades:
How fast can you climb to get over a track? I mentioned grades a short time ago. I really like a maximum of 2%, 2" climb in 100" of track (this can be rounded off to 96", or eight feet). When you are limited to a 4’x8’ board, you either don’t climb or you go steeper than 2%. My maximum is 3%, 3" per 100", and I find that I have no serious problems with it. A 4% grade is getting pretty steep and really affects the ability of an engine to haul a train a lot. I have seen some trestle sets that worked out to be nearly 8%; some locos made it to the top and others didn’t.
There is another way to get clearance between two tracks. If you lower the track underneath at the same time you raise the upper one, you still get the 3" or 3 1/2" that you need in HO under a bridge. This improves scenery possibilities, too. The last thing to remember is to begin grades at less than the climb rate at the top; make a smooth transition between grades and level track.

I was just looking up the same thing earlier to see who i can work my current a tee go up the 3.5 inches i need to get a train under it.