Track Code

sweet_sean

Dec 9, 2004
What is the best cose for N scale model railroading?

I am new to N scale and designing my first layout.

Thank you for your help

Sean,

sams

Dec 17, 2004
Sean,
this is a very difficult question to answer...
all track has pro's and con's...
it just depends on how important you weight the different aspects...

so, first off, you must ask yourself some questions....
how prototypical do you want the track to be?
how much money are you willing to spend on the track?
(going with the above question)...availability?
how much time do you wish to spend (both laying and upkeep)?
etc.etc.

well, here goes, on pro's and con's:
c40...
most prototypical
economical only if you handlay...
else you'll pay through your nose to have someone custom build TO's...
c55...
emerging as the de facto standard for modelers (growing acceptance over c80 for those who weigh prototypical appearance very high)
c60...
i believe it was once offered (may still be) by shinohara
difficult to find
c70...
shinohara and ME, both expensive, or hard/spotty to find
c80...
mostly cheap and easy to find (e.g. atlas)
can be more expensive with peco or kato (but kato is EXTREMELY easy to set up, and has a record for being "bullet-proof" in operations)

so, to give you a suggestion on a code...
c80 if you want (more or less) the cheapest track available, or if you don't mind a little expense for easy to use track
stear clear of c70 or c60
c55 as a good middle ground between c40 and c80...and so probably the best overall
c40 only if your aglutton for punishment or don't mind paying for it;)

hope this helps...
if you have any other questions about track or if you want me to elaborate on any point, don't hesitate to ask:)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Sean,Since you are new to N Scale I will recommend you start with C80 on your first layout until you gain enough track laying experience then perhaps on your next layout you can move up to C55..
A side note on smaller rail..Some N scale equipment you will need to change out the wheels and use the wheels with the smaller flange..

C

Catt

Sean,I would have to agree with Larry on the code 80 for a newcomer.Once you get it laid and painted it will look very nice.

After a layout or two you can use the expierience to switch to code 55.I would only suggest code 40 once you are an old pro at laying track.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
It also depends how well you rate your skill as a modeller, and generally. I went 55 first off as the 'right' set of products, and it's fine, but I have modelled outside the train area a lot before this, and was willing to spend time making it work and look good. But don't kid yourself -- if you want it to work fast and easy and get running trains, go code 80. If you prefer the modelling to the finished result, code 55 may be the way...

sputnik

Sep 29, 2004
bluecreekrr.home.att.net
brakie said:
Sean,Since you are new to N Scale I will recommend you start with C80 on your first layout until you gain enough track laying experience then perhaps on your next layout you can move up to C55..
A side note on smaller rail..Some N scale equipment you will need to change out the wheels and use the wheels with the smaller flange..
I agree that one should be careful about trying to take on something too challenging. One could find themselves frustrated and putting it down altogether if they bite off a little too much. It's simply a matter of learning things step by step. Some will move through steps faster than others, but we all have to work through the steps.

I myself used Peco code 55 for my novice layout. The price isn't restrictive, it goes together as well as code 80, it handles large flanges like code 80, and it has a lower profile (which was very important to me). At the same time, the tie spacing is not the best, and the points on the turnout are code 80 (awkward looking), but those were compromises I was willing to make.

Good luck on choosing.

---jps