Track Cleaning / Maintenance

Freddo

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Hi All,

Please let me know if those track cleaning cars do the trick. If so what brand(s). Also - what other means of track maintenance should I be aware of. I'm looking for data from all of you experience-enriched folks out here and NOT the books I've read.

I'm aware of personal preferences and bias and all that but pour it on anyway (please)...I want to LOVE running the trains and not have to nudge them along (that would make me sad).

The idea of tunnels and hard to reach places (even though I'll have access in case of a derailment (perish the thought)) I'd love the advise of the members here.

Thanks - Fred

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
I have tried several track cleaning cars and was not happy with any of them. They are really more suited for prevention or postponing of dirty track then cleaning track that is truly dirty IMHO. They also don't like sharp curves (vertical or horizontal) or steep grades or grade crossings or .....................................

A bright boy or peice of emery cloth and elbow grease does a good job :D :D :D .

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
I read a neat tip for track cleaning on another forum. You get some sticky back felt sheets, made for putting on the bottom of lamps and stuff, and wrap a piece of that around an old disposable razor head. You can then add a few drops of whatever liquid cleaner you like, I use rubbing alcohol, the razor head is a nice width for spanning the tracks and the handle makes it easy to hold onto. This has worked great for me to clean the tracks before running, course I don't have any tunnels so this tip won't work for everyone.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Track Cleaners

One of our club members announced that he was marketing a new product, a track cleaner. After a few minutes, he said he was going to pass around some free samples.
He handed out wine corks that had been split in half. :D
Use the flat side on the rails.
You can also use pieces of cork roadbed. Wrap it with some cloth that will hold the track cleaner. You might mount it on a stick to go into tight spaces.
There are lots of fluids around to try. Each one has people that are for it and against it.
I'm using the CentreLine track cleaning car (in HO), but there are lots of folks who have given up on it.

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Originally posted by Gavin Miller
Ha ha ... yes, I have to agree with Tyson - nuthin' beats a track cleaning rubber + elbow grease.

There are, however, circumstances where track cleaning cars come into their own, such as under catenary and inside tunnels.

Take a look at this thread for discussion and photos of track cleaning cars:-

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3003

Gavin

The Tomix cleaning car, which Gavin mentions and has photos of in the linked discussion, is the most versatile unit going around. It does dry cleaning with an abrasive disk, wet cleaning with a softer disk and cleaning fluid, and vacuuming. It also has a sweeper brush attachment. Just by coincidence to time in with this message, they are being re-released next month after being out of stock for some time ...

They will also do two new releases next mont of the same unit but with Shinkansen couplers to run with your Doctor Yellow or Hikari Railstar sets :)