To Paint or Not To Paint?

Should I paint or should I not to paint the rails?

• Yes to paint

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No not to paint

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I think it matters what you're modeling. Seems to me a bigger railroad's mainline area might not get as nasty looking, staying fairly fresh. Where-as a branchline or shortline railroad's rails might get seriously rusty.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

I was in this quandary for some time...Having gone through 3 layouts and never painted my rails, I wasn't really sure I needed/wanted it. Then I read Shaygetz's comment about "slathering" it on (See the "Painting/Weathering" thread)...So last Saturday night I thought I'd give it a try. I started out with a small siding I'd just put in so if I didn't like/want it, I could just replace the track and leave it at that. I finished the siding...went on to the siding next to it...painted the turnout at the base of these two sidings....and got to the mainline....There's just no comparison between painted & unpainted rails. It is a pain in the...back (literally), but there's a world of difference. Go for it...!!!

John Hubbard

Dec 12, 2005
www.ejhubbard.com
Yes,Paint!

I had never painted rails before and always thought they looked too big and shiny. I recently got Floquil paint pens with rust, rail brown, and tie brown colors. They make it really easy to paint the rails. Just do it!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
It's probably the easiest and cheapest improvement that you can make to the appearance of your track. I used PollyScale, and applied it with a brush. Make sure that your trackwork is sound and that it's not the cause of derailments or other operating problems. Switches (turnouts) take a little more time but plain track is a breeze. Use a good quality brush at least 1/4" wide, with firm, but not stiff, bristles. As mentioned, just slather it on; don't worry about getting it on the tops of the rails or on the ties, but do make sure to work it around the moulded spike heads. After I've done a switch, or 12' or 15' of plain track, I use a dry rag over my finger tip to wipe the railtops. The paint, while dry, is not hardened, and wipes off in a couple of passes. Any excess on the ties won't be noticeable after you ballast. (My ties are brown, the same colour as I used on the rails, more-or-less). Even if you're using a rusty colour on black ties, the spike heads, tieplates, and the adjacent area of the ties all get discoloured on the prototype.

This area was done with the brown, then I later went back and did the spike heads and tieplates in a rusty colour: wasn't really worth the effort of the extra step.

100_5752.jpg

Some of the rails here got the brown, while others were painted with an oily black. Either one is a big improvement over shiny.

100_5388.jpg

Wayne

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for fixing my mispelled word! Thanks for the advice. I will be modeling a winter scene. So almost everything is going to be white. I thought it would be nice to add a little color! What do you think? I'm going to Walmart tonight and getting some iron rustic paint. I used this on my Wisconsin layour. It looked very nice.:thumb:

Andy

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Just voted "yes".
That's my 1st layout and I wanted it to be reliable and nice looking. That's why I soldered all the railjoiners ( N scale ) and "lost" more than one month painting the tracks.
I'll finish the paintjob next weekend and then the "fun" part can start, like gluing the styrofoam, laying the roadbed, making mountains etc..

Track painting is what separate the toys from the real layouts :)

Doug

Oct 4, 2006
Here is a question; should a guy paint the rails before laying them down? Could you not spray them? I would think you could do thousands of feet of track in minutes.