Tip for scratchbuilders......Yo' Robin!

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
I read this tip in this months Model Railroader and I'll share it, but then I had a light bulb moment. You'll see what I mean. They finally got around to showing how they kitbashed the mine on the Turtle Creek extension. The author mentioned photocopying the kit parts and then using the copies to mock up the structure before doing any cutting. Pretty cool idea as paper is more forgiving of changes than kit parts. I had actually heard of this before so it wasn't really a revellation, but then I got to thinking, (very dangerous!! :D ) I thought, so if I've got a HO building and I photocopy the pieces but also change the scale, then I could have a mockup and plans for the building in N Scale or O Scale or which ever scale I'm modelling. I have been wondering how I could get a couple of HO buildings converted to N Scale, (Walthers Reliable Storage Warehouse and a couple of old Suydam kits primarily). What do you think?

2slim

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Attaching the photocopies to foamcore provides rigidity. These can act as a great filler until you can kitbash or scratchbuild the final model. Here's an example of the kit-bash I'll be doing for my cement bagging and warehouse building for my N scale cement plant.
aac.sized.jpg

Eric

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Neat ideas 2slim. When I convert a plan from other scales to N I use my trusty N scale ruler and so far it has worked for me. Will have to try the photo copy method too.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Will_annand said:
I don't know where I found it, but I have a scale calculator for the computer.

MR Scale Calc 32.exe

Very small and very neat. Eight scales and units in "inch, foot, CM, MM"

Sounds cool. :cool: If you don't remember where you got it and it isn't copyrighted, in other words if it's freeware or shareware could you email a copy of it to me? PM or email me and let me know if you don't mind.
Thanks